Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbmberg

Vine Suggestions

mbmberg
19 years ago

My husband and I are going to be building a pergola in our backyard. Our backyard faces the west so it gets plenty of afternoon sun. What are your suggestions for a fast climbing flowering vine?

Comments (6)

• drasaid
    19 years ago

Passiflora incarnata (the native passiflora which it will cross with) you get fruit which is tasty. Passiflora will sprout up in the lawn but you can just mow them down.
    If you are feeling cheap I'd go with Hyacinth bean. It grows fast, is very pretty, and will die back in the winter. Both will attract butterflies and you will get caterpillers from them. You can plant something like a climbing rose too, that will slowly cover the pergola. Nasturtiums are fast and nice (for maximum speed go with a climbing, nonvariagated variety). They are edible too.
    Wisteria is nice but a bit too vigorous. If you go with it get the Wisteria Floribunda (Japanese) NOT the Chinese one. You can also go with the native wisteria, which is pretty in an understated fashion.

• Django
    19 years ago

I grow moonflower as a fast-growing annual. The large bread plate sized flowers unfurl from buds that resemble soft-serve vanilla cones. Added bonus: they attract hummers and hummingbird moths.

• sdogwood
    18 years ago

What about a Jasmine? Our 25 year old Confederate Jasmine is blooming now. Its an evergreen and looks good all year round. As Banche DeBois would say. . . "Don't you just love the sweet fragrance of the Jasmine?"

• jap373
    18 years ago

A more unusual vine is Chocolate Akebia. Blooms early spring with strange looking clusters of dark chocolate-purple flowers that have a chocolatey smell. Pretty well behaved vine that does not die all the way back so you have some green year 'round. Flowers do not last long -- 3 weeks, maybe?

Scarlet runner bean will attract hummers -- along with cypress vine (be careful, it will reseed), cardinal climber vine, and coral honeysuckle.

There are many varieties of passion vine and all have the COOLEST flowers, but not all are hardy--altho probably more for you than me since you're in zone 9

• HanArt
    18 years ago

I'd plant a few with different bloom times. For summer bloom ... Mexican flame vine, passion vine, cardinal climber, or moonflower. For late winter-spring flowering Carolina jessamine.

• glenn9643
    18 years ago

We've found that here in Monroe confederate jasmine needs a protected spot to survive the winter; otherwise it's "iffy". Bought a few coral honeysuckle this spring to see how they do on the arbor.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville