Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbymcgee_gw

What does frostbite look like on leaves?

bobbymcgee
17 years ago

Hi, this is my first post, and I'm delighted to have found this website and these forums. I'm both new to Louisiana and to vegetable gardening (I was an apartment dweller back in Chicago). Mine is a large raised container garden, and was going like gangbusters until 3-4 days ago I noticed some of my plants' leaves (cucumbers, basil, and also coleus) were somewhat bleached with light-brown-to-almost-white spotting. Others, like, peppers, tomatoes and cantaloupe (and all the other herbs, apparently) are spot-free.

Can this be because it got down into the 30's a few nights ago? Since then the condition hasn't gotten worse, and nothing is dying, so aside from the cold snap, nothing about my care has changed.

I will admit to frequent watering (usually twice a day), but that hasn't hurt the rest of the garden, including the flowers, so it doesn't seem to be too much.

Does anyone know if I'm looking at frostbite or an unfriendly critter? Thanks in advance for any knowlege you can impart.

Much appreciation,

Linda in Carencro

PS: I'm a very, very happy transplant. Can't believe I started this garden over a month ago, I've got 15-inch high tomato plants in early April, and I tend the garden in shorts and tees. In Chicago I wouldn't even think of planting a petunia before June!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services