Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water standing in yard (I rent)

Posted by kellyhughes none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 15:22

I do not want to spend to much money fixing the standing water in my yard. I thought planting "jacks giant" elephant ears would soak up my problem in a less expensive way. Are there any other ideas for my Slidell area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water standing in yard (I rent)

Hi I'm from St. Bernard but now live in north MS. I really don't have a good answer for you about the drainage but will share my experience with a wet yard up here. First look at the way the yard drains. Sometimes the ground is uneven which was one problem with us here, and I shoveled and leveled it some, not a really big project (I weigh about 111 so it wasn't heavy work), and that helped alot. Also sometimes there is a fence or blocked up area that has to be cleared of debris. That was the case for us too. I then used raised beds, not made of timbers but just mounded up and dug small trenches as borders around the beds and so the plants stayed much drier and the water that didn't drain sort of ran in the trenches. If I am picturing a flooded yard I don't think most plants would absorb that much water but maybe a tree like river birch would. One other thing, when we get a huge rain like this week 4 inches in 3 days, that is just a one or two day yard drenching but then it does drain. Hope this made some sense or gave you some hope. To truly solve a drainage problem might need a landscape contractor. And if you rent then perhaps the landlord/lady will fix it.
Laurie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here