Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
St. Augustine Sod

Posted by mrbdm99 MS (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 07 at 15:29

Hi everyone! We are just getting into gardening at home, but before we do that, I am going to till my lawn, get the pH set correctly and put down some new grass. I am looking for St. Augustine sod and I have found it at a few places here, the lowest priced being 165 a pallet. That doesn't sound bad, but I just want to make sure I get the lowest price I can, so I am hoping that someone on here might be able to help!
I am located in Jackson, MS and I would be willing to drive further south for good, well priced sod. I wouldn't drive so far that gas prices eat my savings, but I can work those numbers later! ANY help would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: St. Augustine Sod

• Posted by gator_01 8/NortheastLouisiana (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 12, 07 at 20:52

Have you done a soil sample yet? Thats the first thing you should do before anything else before you go adding things to your soil. Also tilling will leave your yard lumpy and uneven. Get someone with a tractor and blade to prepare your yard for sodding. It want take them long at all to have it ready and your lawn will be nice and level. And now that you have your results back from that soil sample and the lawn is nice and even , you are ready for that sod purchase.
As for the best prices on sod I cant help there but one other thing you should consider and inquire about is what St. Augustine does good in your area. There are different varieties of it.
You should post over on the Lawn Care Forum. There are several guys on that forum that are very informed. One guy is even a sod grower.
Hope this helps and sorry about the prices,
John

o
RE: St. Augustine Sod

Thanks for the info about the other forum! I have already had several soil tests done to find out what I need to add. I will be doing something different to get the yard nice and even as there is no room for a tractor in the yard due to my Oaks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here