Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pieohmy_gw

Free trees

pieohmy
16 years ago

We are clearing a wooded area in our yard and have several trees up for grabs to whoever would like them. All are small and healthy. We are in the Independence/Montpelier area of Louisiana.

I have so far found the following:

Banana shrub (only one so far and very small still)

White Oak (several)

Tung oil (several)

Chinese cypress (several)

Comments (10)

• tamivileine
    16 years ago

I'll take all your tung trees.

What's a banana shrub? You mean a banana plant, like as in the yelo things that monkeys eat ;-)? If you're referring to a regular banana, I'll take that too

please email direct
    vileine18sq at hotmail dot com

thanks
    tami

• pieohmy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A banana shrub is more of a small tree when full grown. The blooms smell a lot like bananas. They were very common at one time and are very beautiful full grown. I have tons of tung oil trees. They would take over my yard if I let them.

Here is a link that might be useful: banana shrub

• natal
    16 years ago

I saw banana shrubs at Naylor's last month. Had no idea what they were and forgot about 'em till now. I think I'll pick one up later this week. Thanks for the headsup, Pieohmy!

I remember seeing tung oil trees for the first time one spring when we were looking at property in the Covington area. Very pretty in bloom.

• pieohmy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The "shrub" in banana shrub is deceptive. I have two that are as large as my full grown camellias. But they are lovely and evergreen. I especially like the trunk of the tree. Very interesting when they get older.

Yes, the tung oil are nice too when blooming and very fast growing. Very graceful when full grown.

• thehurds
    16 years ago

I have 3 acres of land with only 1 weeping willow I bought for my front yard, but I would love your White Oaks and
    Chinese cypress if you still have any. You can contact my at thehurds@aol.com.

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

Don't know why I missed this thread earlier--maybe 'cause I need less trees rather than more! But thought y'all might be interested in a bit of history about the banana shrub (Michellia figo, I think, and there are some other very nice michellias too). Think I was told about this shortly after I moved here. As was mentioned above, it's a plant that was very popular years ago, and ladies would drop a few flowers down the front of their dresses for the fragrance. (Personally, I think mine at least smells more like cheap artificial banana flavoring than bananas!) Because of that use, some people still call them 'bubby flowers'. Now, doesn't that make your day?

• pieohmy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm, maybe I should label it as such LOL.

thehurds, I still do have some. Our chainsaw and some other garden tools were stolen so work has stopped for now it that area :(

• iris_lover
    16 years ago

Hi Pieohmy,

If you have any tung trees left in the fall, I surely would love some.

Please e-mail me. mphillips@surgery.umsmed.edu

Marie

• pieohmy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I ALWAYS have tung oil trees. Even if I pulled them all from the area I would have more within weeks. Fair warning, they will drop seeds readily and grow babies everywhere.

• rennep
    16 years ago

I would love to have one of the banana and tung oil trees. PLMK. Thanks, Renne'

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?