Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on perennials in Baton Rouge

Posted by jankay (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 07 at 16:30

I'm in South Carolina, but a friend in Baton Rouge is wanting advice on perennials for his new house.

He has Indian hawthornes in a front bed in full sun, and would like a low-lying, low-maintenance perennial to go in front of them. Any suggestions for what will work well in Louisiana soil? He says it is so fertile there that anything will grow, but I'm afraid to suggest things that have worked for me here, due to the different climate.

Also, any suggestions for taller perennials for the sunny side of his house would be appreciated. He works on his yard regularly, but is not really a gardener.

Thanks so much for any ideas,

Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on perennials in Baton Rouge

• Posted by brhgm z8b LA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 07 at 17:52

Indian Hawthorn doesn't like wet feet. Some of the dwarf azaleas and camellias work ok with Indian Hawthorn. African Iris and daylilies work great.

o

There are lots of salvias that would work, from small to tall. I'm very happy with my 'Hot Lips' salvia for a shorter one, and S. guaranitica and guaranitica Argentine Skies' are coming into bloom very nicely right now--they're a little taller. Two large ones, can't remember their species names but they're called rose-bud sage and forsythia sage tend to disappoint because they don't start blooming until late in the season and get frosted pretty easily. There are lots and lots more.

o

Jan - I am in saint gabriel if your friend does not mind digging I have some amarillys bandanas, some peope call them amarillo lillies both lavender, and white with some pink in them, 90% white. I also have some yellow four o'clock seeds. If he has children, particularly little girls she will love to make necklaces and bracelets with them. my local phone number is 642 7769 God Bless

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here