Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosecretnow

How To Save Seeds From Tall Flower Spikes? Suggestions?

NoSecretNow
18 years ago

In my back yard I have these wild flowers that have rich red blooms that grow in a spike. The flowers start at the bottom of the spike and work their way up.

I have a few spikes that are almost finished blooming and I can see that the seeds at the bottom of the spikes are beginning to ripen. I also have about 30 more spikes that will begin blooming before much longer.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to use that is long and narrow I can place over the spikes and tie in place to catch the seeds as they come loose? Is there a supplier that provides something for this every purpose?

Embarassingly the only thing I've come up with so far that will work is a thoroughly cleansed (to remove the lubricant and nonoxynol-9 spermicide) condom, but I fear my neighbor may be offended if they look out their living room window and see several two foot tall plants with dozens of unrolled condoms on them. And of course, I can only imagine the look I'd get going to the drug store and purchasing a couple 30-pack boxes of condoms. :)

All joking aside though, this is important, as the seeds are going to be very plentiful and are large enough they will be easy to manage if only I can find a realistic way of catching the seeds as they fall from the flower spikes.

Here is a link that might be useful: The No Secret Now Garden Blog

Comments (4)

Sponsored