Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angiebug_gw

Where to find Water hyacinth in NE Louisiana?

angiebug
19 years ago

Does anyone in Northeast LA (Ouachita/Richland Parish area) know of anywhere I can get some water hyacinth? I'm looking for a place where it's growing close enough to a road that I can get to it pretty easily and load up a bucket-full for my pond.

Comments (6)

• Pterostyrax
    19 years ago

Are you certain that you want to transplant some to your pond? You will very quickly have no water to look at, just a sea of hyacinths. One of the most horribly invasive plants I have ever seen.

• angiebug
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Pterostyrax,

I know it's very invasive. However, I have a 20,000 gallon water system in which I use plants and fish to keep the water clear. My pond is in a high traffic area that receives alot of daily abuse. As a result, it is impractical and expensive to use too many water lilies or other delicate aquatic plants. Water hyacinth is the fastest way to obtain enough surface coverage to block the sunlight that promotes algae growth. Besides, if/when I decide that I've got too much hyacinth, I can easily pull it out and throw it away.

I do appreciate your concern, however.

Angela

• tamivileine
    19 years ago

I'm not entirely sure it's legal to have water hyacinth, in that it's an exotic and there are eradication programs. You might want to check on that.

sea ya
    tami

• angiebug
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Come on folks...I'm pretty sure it's legal to have it in Louisiana. You just can't import it into the state because it's an invasive species. I know of several aquatic stores here in North Louisiana that sell it for use in ponds. I was just hoping that someone knew of a lake or bayou where I could find some in a place that would be easily accessible in my car. Besides...I doubt seriously that it will create a serious problem in my concrete pond, since I used it all summer last year before tossing it in December after it got frost damage.

Angela

• southern_bell_la
    19 years ago

hi angie bug i have some and would be more than happy to share some with you. i think i've talked to you before about some red yucca seeds. i live about 40 miles from you but will be in arcadia on the weekend of may 16th for the bonnie and clyde trade days. maybe we could meet there if you can wait that long.

• taffyj
    18 years ago

I lived near Lake Charles, where I had easy access to WH from the Calcasieu river. When I moved to Alexandria, I took a little with me for my pond. The winter here killed it. So, if a central LA winter kills WH, then a North LA winter should certainly kill it. By the way, I checked with the 'powers that be' before removing any from the river to take home, and he said as long as I don't put it into natural waterways, its okay. Not even illegal, because the authorities have given up fighting it and consider it 'naturalized'. Plus, living near the Calcasieu river all my life, I've never seen it get really bad, and I've never known of anybody trying to eradicate it. Sure it forms small rafts, but it never entirely clogs the waterways. You can just navigate your boat around it.
    Plus, I found it makes a really good source of Nitrogen for compost piles. My koi eat all the roots off any WH I put in the pond, so I toss the rootless plants in the compost bin and get fresh for the pond. So, it also makes good vacation food for my koi. All around a useful plant, if used and disposed of carefully.

Sorry, no I don't have any right now. I haven't gone back to the river to get some yet this season. Check ebay, you may find it there.

Sponsored