Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nolaphoto1_gw

Newly planted Magnolia & yellow leaves

nolaphoto1
13 years ago

Hello. I am new here and would appreciate any help anyone can offer. I recently purchased a house and the previous owners neglected the yard and this is my first attempt to both rehab the yard and perform a little landscaping. Three weeks ago, I planted a Little Gem Magnolia in the back yard. It was purchased in a 3 gal pot. Its trunk diameter was about 1-1/2inches. I dug the hole twice the size of the root ball and deep enough so that it sat level with the ground. I back filled the hole with a mixture of tree and shrub planting soil and top soil. I watered it to settle the soil and topped it off again. I watered the soil once more and topped with mulch. I have watered twice with miracle grow dissolved in the water and once without. We also had a good afternoon shower that gave everything a good soaking. Now, this morning I noticed that some of the leaves, the ones towards the ends of the little branches, have begun to turn yellow.

I have looked up this topic on here and found some older posts. Some with southern magnolias make it sound like this is fairly common in the spring. Can anyone verify that? Am I doing something wrong? The shrubs I planted at the same time seem to be doing fine.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner