Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant called Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

Posted by virginia34 south (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 08 at 21:08

I would like to know the botanical name plus information on taking care of this plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant called Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 08 at 21:58

Here you go ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Brunfelsia pauciflora

o

Thanks so much for the information. Now, to find out how to do cuttings. Virginia

o

I bought mine last year at a local plant sale.

Mine is now blooming and is beautiful. I potted it up last year and had it in my sun room. I knew nothing about them before, and just found out today (after I googled) that it is poisonous (also to dogs)

zones 9-11 so I will have to continue growing mine in a container

I love the 3 colors from purple, lavender to white

marie

o

Thanks for your reply. I have mine in a large container and it is blooming beautifully. Do you know how to get cuttings started from this plant. Thanks again.

o

• Posted by grandad 9a Louisiana/Sun't28 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 16:11

The plant will send out underground runners which will emerge as new plants. Just dig up these and pot or relocate to a new area.

o

Thanks for all of the help. Virginia

o

From the link that Natal provided, it says that you can propagate from tip cuttings of new growth in spring and summer.

marie

o

Thanks again for the help. Cannot wait to try and start a baby plant.

o

I live in Slidell, Louisiana. On some maps we are zone 9a, others 8b. I would say we are most years 9a with occasional 8b years. The past 4 or 5 years I don't think it's gone below 23, this last winter the lowest temp I saw in my yard was 27. I find the Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow is hardy here. I have one in the ground in my yard. It looks healthy but has hardly grown. I think it might be too close to the crape myrtle, and the crape is hogging most of the water and fertilizer.

I bought one for my grandmother at the same time, and hers has done beautifully. It is now about 3-4 feet tall after about 3 years and is literally COVERED in blooms at this time that are highly scented. Hers is in a bed at the corner of her brick house, lucky for her without competition from tree roots.

I would say if you are near the Gulf in that 8b/9a twilight zone, go ahead and put it in the ground, especially if you have a spot on the south side of your house. 9 out of 10 years you should see no damage, and those rare years it dares to act like an 8b winter for 2 or 3 nights, cover it.

o

Can this plant be started from the seeds it produces?

o

Has anyone started this plant from seeds? Virginia

o

I just bought this plant this weekend. I loved the blooms but did not know it was poisonous. I have mine in a large pot and am hoping it will do well. I was told that it needed to be in the shade, maybe a little morning sun. Is that true. Our summers here in Calif get so very hot so I have it where it gets no direct sun at all.

o

• Posted by grandad 9aLa/Sunset 28 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 31, 12 at 14:17

My plant is adjacent to our house (under the roof overhang) and receives full afternoon sun. It is not in a pot and it is doing very well. It would probably do just as well if it were in a pot -- assuming I kept it watered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here