Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamedicineman

Blueberries

lamedicineman
17 years ago

Can anyone provide information on varities of Blueberry bushes which will thrive well and produce fruit in my region? I am in the market for some plants but am not sure which varities to purchase. Thank you for your help.

Comments (4)

• natal
    17 years ago

Rabbiteye is the best choice for Louisiana.

Here is a link that might be useful: PDF file from LSU Ag Center

• pjames
    17 years ago

Look around Lowes, Home Depot etc. and you will find a couple varieties that work well. I think they are different cultivars of Rabiteye but you will see names like Tifblue, Climax etc. I have planted different cultivars and put them in a line in a bed.. first , thrid and fifth being the same type and second and third being two other types. I was told originally that you have to have different varieties for pollenation.

I have noticed that even though all the plants are treated the same, there is some variation among the plants with production, some producing earlier than others and others producing longer. I use a heavy layer of oak leaves as a mulch to reduce weeds and to also provide a low ph.

• shugnshay
    17 years ago

I dug through dave's plant search to study different cultivars. Be sure to check quality and harvest details, as climax tends to ripen all at once, which is fine if you're planning on freezing/preserving them all. Some are better for cooking rather than eating fresh, so be sure to decide what you're looking for before shopping, so that you know which cultivars you don't want.

The search only allows you to see one cultivar at a time, which is a pain, but I couldn't find anything better. I just opened all of them in new tabs, and closed the tabs for the ones I didn't want. Happy huntin!

Here is a link that might be useful: dave's plant search

• timintexas
    17 years ago

GO to danfinch.com I am a commercial grower of Blueberries and I buy all mine from there. They have a very easy to understand website with an amazing selection of varieties suited for our zone. I am not sure what they have left for the season (they sell bareroot) but you will learn plenty in a short time. Frankly, there is not that much to learn. See, Rabbiteye types are native to our area..if you meet some very basic needs, they thrive with out much care once established. Our soils are allready acid and that is the biggest issue. You can also grow Southern Highbush types but their care is a bit more exacting. Nice thing about Blueberries is they can be grown pretty much organic..no pests to speak of and very low fertilizer requirments. BTW...something most people are not aware of, Rabbiteyes can EASILY get 10 foot tall! A LOT of fruit per bush if not kept shorter. If buying at Lowes/Walmart ect. be very carefull- I have seen many Northern types for sale (Mostly at Wal-mart) not suited to our area. Lowes is somewhat better. Just educate yourself as to names of cultivars and groups (Rabbiteye, S. Highbush ect.) and you will be ok. B. Berries are one of your best investments...will produce for years and years.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County