Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Identify Flower

Posted by Zuly none (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 0:02

Hello everyone,

I am new to posting on GardenWeb. I hope that I am posting in the correct spot.

Today I was visiting a friend and I saw this flower that I have never seen here in S.E. Louisiana. She said she doesn't know where it came from, that a bird must of dropped the seeds. I want that bird to visit me, LOL.

Here is a PIC of the actual flower (a bit limp, has been in a cup of water for a few hours). I hope that someone can Identify it.

Great to be here, Thanks in advance : )

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Identify Flower

That might be a milk and wine lily (flowers closed or drenched with rain) or crinum. Do a search for milk and wine lily pods (images). That's what it looks like to me.
Laurie, from St. Bernard originally

o

Thank you Laurie for responding.

I Googled your suggestions and it doesn't look nothing like them. Today I took pictures of the piece (foliage) that I planted yesterday.

The flowers are still in a mardi gras cup of water and are no bigger than 2 inches each. I will also include another angle of the flowers.

I will be posting the new PICS as soon as I receive the email that I sent from my cell phone. Always takes forever, LOL. I may do it in the morning if I don't get them soon.

Thanks again,
Zuly : )

o

• Posted by Zuly none (My Page) on
    Fri, May 4, 12 at 1:00

Young Plant

Another angle of the flowers

o

wow i would love to know what it is. could it be rain lily? or lily of the nile (agapanthus?). my son visiting today, he's a botanist in grad school at miss. state. doesn't recognize but said it appears to be some type of lily (at least we can agree on that).
Laurie

o

I'm pretty sure this is alstromeria. I have this and it looks to be the same.

o

Wooohooo Thats it retsec and Laurie, Thank you so much. It drives me nuts not to know the name of any plant I get or have.

It is a Parrot Lily (Alstroemeria psittacina)

http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/166.htm

http://www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_OF_THE_WORLDS_BULBS/GRAPHICS/Alstroemeria/Alstroemeria_psittacina/AlstroemeriaPsittacina.html

I have 2 more unknown plants, should I post them here or start new thread?

Thanks again,
Zuly : )

o

I would start a new thread.

o

Thank you retsec, will do that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here