Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjanquen

dollar weed

Kjanquen
18 years ago

How do you get rid of dollar weed....My son has it all in his flower beds...HELP!

Comments (14)

• sdogwood
    18 years ago

I don't know how to get of mine either. . . it is sold in Northern nurseries as a ground cover. Hope that makes you feel better.

• lisa455
    18 years ago

It is a sign of poor drainage typically. The best thing I know to do is to loosen the soil and get all the strings up and then add compost and/ot top soil to improve drainage.

• WOODSGRANNY
    18 years ago

my nursery man told me to mix 1 tbls.w/1 gallon water and this will spray about a 10 by 15 ft. area. in morning when dry.i'll let ya know.he assures me i want have dead or brown spots i my st.augestine.....forgot,that's 1 tbls. of 2-4-d

• nandina
    18 years ago

It is not easy. Especially when working in a flower garden. I have done quite a study on this weed. For instance, even though dollar weed grows along one root underground each leaf that you see on the surface is an individual plant. This means that each visible leaf must be treated. Once DW has become established it does not matter if the soil is wet or dry. It will remain forever, spreading and thriving.

What follows is the only method I have been able to devise that works to rid gardens of dollar weed, not kill your favorite plants and can be done 12 months of the year. You will need Image (weed killer), heavy rubber gloves, 3" bristle paint brush (not foam) and a small paint roller. Pour Image in an old, large can and dilute with an equal amount of water. Now comes the 'fun' part. Start on the inside of the garden and lightly paint each dollar weed leaf as you move backward to the edge of the garden. In open spaces use the small paint roller to make the job go faster. It is easy to work around garden plants as the Image is only going on dollar weed leaves, not on the ground and with care other plants will not be harmed. If your son will use this method working half an hour or so every day, small sections at a time, he should have a fairly clean kill and only have to treat a few stragglers every spring. Sorry that I can't give you an easy method for the ornamental garden. This is the only method I have found that really does the job.

• cajungardener
    18 years ago

I'll vouch for Image. It not only kills the dollar weed but also kills what I call cocoa grass (nutsedge or nut grass). 2 years ago, I very carefully sprayed around my roses, I did get some chemical damage to my roses, distorted leaves, but when those leaves fell off the new ones were fine.... Thanks for the tip about painting it on. I'll have to try that soon.

• billums_ms_7b
    18 years ago

I've done the same thing with Ortho's Weed-B-Gone but used a Q-tip to apply it. I did manage to wipe out the dollar grass from a large bed, but it definitely took a while!

• chad_la
    18 years ago

If a good bit of weeds around stuff you dont want to spray around try using a sponge dipped in herbicide. Either on the end of a stick or holding it in hand and wiping the weeds.

• bigoledude
    18 years ago

Atrazine will wipe out Dollar Weed. It will kill some other plants as well. I have no idea what plants are in your son's garden, and if Atrazine will kill them. Do a little research on this chemical.

• Sunshine
    18 years ago

I used Scotts Bonus s in my flower beds and in my monkey grass and it kills the dollar weed. I haven't noticed it killing the "wrong plants" either. I apply in Feb, May and Sept and water it in. I checked the product web site for plants it would kill and I didn't have any of them.

• kkelley
    18 years ago

Don't forget please, that atrazine also persists in soils, moves easily into the water system, and collects in the human liver. Please do a LOT of research on this chemical. There is a good reason why it won't be available much longer.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    18 years ago

Billums - did I read that right? ... you applied pesticide to a yard full of dollarweed using a Q-TIP!?!? You made me laugh out loud! You just CAN'T be serious!

• YoliS
    10 years ago

Hi. I have been looking for the Dollarweed for a long time. Can I have some of your weed please. ysickles@hotmail.com
    Thank you
    Yoli

• bigoledude
    10 years ago

This is an old post but, many folks here are still having to deal with Dollarweed. I wrote a brief comment here and a much longer one for another Post. I will add the long-winded version here also;

A product called "Atrazine" is very effective in killing Dollarweed. Buying it in bags, as a weed-n-feed formulation (Bonus S), is ridiculously over-priced! A bottle of Atrazine lasts me for years. And, that's using it in the garden and the lawn.

I think Atrazine may be harmful to many ornamentals and, I wouldn't "spray" it around my vegetables. Here's how I apply Atrazine in my landscape and vegetable gardens;

I put on a rubber/nitrile glove first, to prevent any of the herbicide from coming in contact with my skin. Then, I put on a cotton glove over the rubber one, as 'the wick". Beforehand, I prepare a plastic margarine tub with Atrazine mixed according to mfg instructions. I dip my gloved hand into the Atrazine and grab the offending weed (Dollarweed) letting it slip through my lightly clenched hand as I draw my hand back. I keep dipping my hand into the Atrazine to make sure the cotton glove stays saturated with the herbicide. This method has never resulted in the unintentional damage of my plants.

I do the same thing with Roundup when targeting weeds in my lawn. There is just no way to spray Roundup on your lawn without overspray killing some of your sod.

This method sounds very labor intensive but, with just a couple of applications you can make HUGE strides in eradicating problem weeds.

With typical weeds, you should kill the weed before it goes-to-seed. Once you allow the weeds to go-to-seed, you will have to fight the germinated seeds (weeds) until you catch up.

Of course, there are "pre-emergent" herbicides for dealing with seeds. Whole nudda story.

Did you know that Dollarweed is edible? I'm tellin ya, it is!

• bigoledude
    10 years ago

Sorry! Double post and still don't know what I did wrong.

This post was edited by bigoledude on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 3:47

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH