Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardnpondr

Angel trumpets ? in Ms.zone 8

gardnpondr
18 years ago

Last year I rooted several angel trumpets and several of them got large enough to bloom planted in my border bed. 4 of them was at least 5 or more feet tall. I piled the pinestraw on them before we had a freeze last winter to keep it from killing the roots of them. NONE of mine are coming up yet. Is anybody else having this problem? I pulled the pinestraw back away from them today and yesterday to see if there is any groweth and there is none. I see a green stem like coming from the trunk of it but there is no leaves on any of them. Do you think the aphids or some other critter is eating the leaves off of them? I am going to put some 10% sevin dust on them just to be on the safe side but just was wondering if anyone else' in Ms. is coming up yet?

Comments (14)

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I bet it's snails/slugs that are eating the leaves off. I find Angel Trumpets are very tasty to snails and slugs when they're starting out, but don't bother them much once they get going. I put diatomacious(sp?) earth on mine once early and have had no further problems. There are also good safe baits like Sluggo and Escar-go, names which tickle me, and of course good old beer. The Sevin won't do a thing for slugs or snails, if in fact that's what you have.

• tamivileine
    18 years ago

You should be getting something by now. If you're in the Biloxi area, I'll be glad to share cuttings - I have a gold and a peach

sea ya
    tami

• gardnpondr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Tami and Greenelbows!!! I thought this wasn't right! I put some sevin dust out around them day before yesterday so they should be coming on out soon. I bought me some more also. There's a nursery fairly close to me that sells plants for 2.00 a gallon but they are mostly small plants BUT they grow in large ones. Anyway he had some orange,pink and yellow ones so I bought 3 of the yellow ones to go behind my fountain under the corner of the patio and then I bought me one each of the other two to get me a start of those as well.
    Thank you Tami! That is so sweet of you! But they will come on out now since I have sevin dusted them I'm sure!

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

They'll probably get going anyway, but sevin won't help with slugs or snails, which was what was after my brugs early. Once they get a little start I guess they don't taste so good and they'll grow anyway.

• gardnpondr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

wonder what I can use on them Greenelbows for the slugs and snails? I see green stems coming off the old part but no leaves yet. I bet they are eating them as fast as they come on. I have pulled the straw back away from them so I can see what's going on with them.

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Escar-go takes care of snails and slugs ... and it's safe for the environment. You can order it from Gardens Alive.

Stay away from that Sevin!!! It's never a good idea to use chemicals indiscriminately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Escar-go

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Seven kills all insects, whether they're beneficial or destructive, but it won't kill mollusks, which is what slugs and snails are if I remember right--anyway they're not insects! Diatomacious earth is the skeletons of tiny sea creatures (diatoms) and cuts their skins so they dehydrate. It's so safe you can feed it to your dogs and cats for worms. I much prefer to use the safest possible method especially since I nearly killed myself with what was supposed to be a safe insecticide--di-Syston, advertised as a systemic. Turned out it had some systemic action but mostly killed by releasing a NERVE GAS. Believe me--you do not want to be subjected to a nerve gas! I probably put up with more insect damage than I should sometimes.

• gardnpondr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok thank you! If I am thinking right I've also heard of putting beer traps out for them as well. Will that get both these critters?

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Beer traps work fine, especially since it looks like we've dispensed with rain to dilute it--or maybe you had some over there. We are dust-dry and not having much trouble with slugs and snails for now. I'd rather have some rain!

• HanArt
    18 years ago

We lucked out with a nice shower yesterday afternoon in SW BR. Had just finished watering the herb bed as a few drops fell. Couldn't have been happier when the skies opened up! Hope you get some this weekend, greenelbows.

• palmfan
    18 years ago

I am in zone 7b in southern New Jersey that is sprouting nicely outdoors on the south side of my house. It grew to 8 feet tall from a small cutting and put on quite a show with many fragrant blooms. I identified it as 'Frosty Pink', a variety that is apparently more sensitive to cold than some due to having some B. versicolor genes in its background.

• gardnpondr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Got me a couple beers last night and made me some little traps with the coke bottles. Look out snails and slugs! LOL

• janet_ms
    18 years ago

I recently planted a pink angel trumpet that's about 3 foot tall. It's blooming like crazy but it has no odor. Aren't they supposed to smell really great?

• sinner_gurl
    18 years ago

Some people use 1/2 c of ammonia to 5 gal bucket of water to kill slugs. Water the entire area with it. It doesn't hurt the brugs and works wonders for killing slugs. Also can use 10% ammonia to 90% water in a spray bottle to spray directly on slugs at night when they are doing thier damage. I grow angel trumpets in LA. Gardnpondr just be patient I think the brugs will return in zone 8. I lived in cooler zones and grew them. Sometimes it just takes a little longer for them to get going after a hard winter. You should visit the brugmansia forum here at garden web. There are alot of nice people growing angel trumpets there and lots of good advice :)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio