Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pieohmy_gw

Anyone have Hibiscus?

pieohmy
16 years ago

I love Hibiscus but all the ones I tried long ago would always die eventually from frost. I'm not the potted plant type so I'm looking for a Hibiscus that does well here in ground. I do recall seeing Hibiscus type plants growing wild here in Louisiana, the flowers are much larger and not the bright tropical colors you see in stores. I remember seeing maroon colored ones that were beautiful. Anyone know what these would be? I've searched but can't find the info.

Comments (15)

• MichelleMartin
    16 years ago

Hey pieohmy, I have grown hibiscus type trees, shrubs, for a long time. I'd be willing to send you some seeds. I have the Althea/Rose of Sharon type. The flowers are 1)white with maroon/red center, 2)white with white center, 3)Purple with maroon/red center.
    Here is my white with white: http://www.pbase.com/shell7/image/62804674

Here's my purple with red: http://www.pbase.com/shell7/image/47170432

Here's my white with red: http://www.pbase.com/shell7/image/62307735

The white with red I just showed you, usually is a fuller bloom, this one looks a little sick because it was just transplanted and was trying to bounce back. If you could send me an SASE, I can get them to you as soon as you'd like.

• tamivileine
    16 years ago

You want to look for Mallows/Malvaceae. there are several native species. If you see a wild one in a place where you can either get a cutting or dig it up, take it home and propagate it

• pieohmy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tami, I wish there were some here growing wild, I would at least get some seeds off them. It was so long ago I saw them I wouldn't know where to look now. Btw, did the tung oil trees make it? If not, I have plenty more already LOL.

Michelle, thank you so much for offering the seeds. Those aren't what I was was thinking of but they are beautiful. I'm emailing you right now for your address. I have a small seed packet I got from Epcot last week that I will send to you, it has florida native flowers.

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

The 'Texas Star' hybiscus is native and there is a white form too. It's Hybiscus coccineous(sp?)and I've heard of people having to answer questions from the police 'cause the foliage looks like that stuff some people smoke which I of course don't know anything about. Just today I had the first bloom from the Hibiscus hamabo I planted a couple years ago--beautiful lemon yellow. Got it from Yucca Do, and they said it's drought resistant, so I didn't worry about suplemental watering--but then I read the description again and it says it needs water to bloom. Guess this rain we've been getting has proven their point! Lots of buds too. There's a dark red foliaged hardy hibiscus I've seen a few places, and we got one as a release from the Louisiana Society for Horticultural Research (whew!) and it seems to be doing quite well. I'd been thinking about buying it, so that was nice. You might check Yucca Do's website--they have lots of unusual plants that do well in our climate. And of course, when you know they exist you're more likely to find them locally. I think there are quite a few other hardy hibiscus, but they may take some looking.

• beau99
    16 years ago

I have some tropical hibiscus on the south side of my house. They die back in winter, but come back from the roots when the weather warms up! I usually feed them with a high acid fertilizer and Epsom salts. They're beautiful!

• tamivileine
    16 years ago

Yes most all the trees survived. I've put out a few and the rest are in pots waiting for my major yard surgery.

I'd completely forgotten your username!

There used to be some wild malvaceae around Cypremort Point, in the marshes - everyone called 'em marsh mallow. Yellow with red centres if I recall. Rose of Sharon would do well for you, they're kewl looking. Pale lilac with maroon centres and serrated petals if I remember correctly. Keep your eyes peeled...

• pieohmy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've searched the web throughly since asking this question and have yet to find this plant. Many look the same but none have the giant deep reddish purple flowers the one I'm thinking of had. The house it is at is near me so I'm thinking of just going and asking if I can have some cuttings and try to root them. I don't know the new owners but that is not going to stop me LOL. The house is at least 50 years old so all I can figure is either... it is an old variety that has fallen out of favor or my memory is bad and it is exactly like the 100's of pictures I've already seen. The latter being more likely of coarse.

Anyway, I want them all cause I have a serious hibiscus addiction ~ says the girl with barely any sun in her yard.

• sheriberrie
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I have the maroon and the light pink. I just call them perinneal hibiscus. They sell them at all out nurseries over by Monroe, La. Just ask for the big paper plate Perinneal hibiscus. They should come back every year.

• pieohmy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Paper plate sounds right because the blooms were about as big as one. I will ask around about it, thanks!

• MichelleMartin
    16 years ago

Oh goodness, pieohmy! Thanks so much for the seeds, that's wonderful. I'm sorry my flowers weren't what you are looking for. Wish it would've been for you. Thanks again!

• pieohmy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're welcome. I wish I could tell you what they are though. Since they are wildflowers I suppose they will be perennial???? I have some sprouting so if I find out I will let you know.

• zbest4me
    16 years ago

I ran across this thread while trying to ID the "wild" pale pink hibiscus that have just come into bloom all along the swampy areas of the hwy. in the New Orleans area.... before Katrina I had a bunch of these in my yard that I had grown from cuttings, and I just loved them!!! They bloomed like crazy all summer, but they do take a little more water than most other hibiscus.

Are these the same type everyone else is wondering about?? I'll post a pic of a bloom soon.

I still can't figure out what they are called, but I am off to go dig some up or take some cuttings depending on where I can find a spot to get them.

If I get some extra does any one want some? I'd love to trade for other hibiscus seeds/cuttings, or I can send for postage too. If you want some let me know soon, so I can get enough for everyone who wants them.

Gina

• pieohmy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found my plant finally at Cleggs yesterday. It's a rose mallow and the blooms are amazing on it. I planted it yesterday and it has 4 new blooms on it today already. I'm in love :) The mallow itself is still pretty small so the huge blooms look funny but I know it will be beautiful one day.

• iris_lover
    16 years ago

I remember hearing that the hibiscus with shiny leaves are indeed tropical, but the leaves that are not shiny, but dull, are perennial hibiscus.

I, too, do not like having to deal with plants you have to bring in before frost, so I try not to collect those.

marie

• sandy44
    15 years ago

I have grown Texas Star Hibiscus for years and yes I have been visited by the police, he was laughing all the way up my front steps as he imediately recognized they were flowers and not good for smoking. Mine are the dark pink variety. I would be glad to send seeds to anyone who is interested. I have friends growing them in Virgina and Michigan.