Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How well do caladiums grow in South Ms?

Posted by sugarcreek Ms (My Page) on
Mon, May 8, 06 at 4:00

I am relocating from south Florida to south Ms. in a few months. My favorite plants are caladiums and my yard is full of all kinds. Because of our warm climate I never take my bulbs up during the winter. I think that will be different in Ms.
Do caladiums grow well in S. Ms? Will I need to take the bulbs up in the winter? Are there some types of caladiums that will grow better there? Talked to a co-worker and she lives in N. Ms and she said caladiums are only pot plants and NOT yard plants where she lives. Please tell me that is not true about S. Ms. Any help will be grately appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How well do caladiums grow in South Ms?

Not true

Caladiums do fine in the ground, and mine even survived 24' of salty water...

sea ya
tami

o

Here in So LA they do a little better and last longer if you take them up and let them ripen in the fall, and store for a few months. I was told that and didn't get around to it, and they came back the next year but not as many, and then the year after that there were a few small ones. Maybe this year I'll dig 'em. Maybe.

o

I am also in South Louisiana Z9. Most, but not all, do come back the next year but are always smaller and eventually just fade away. I would recommend digging them up each year and storing properly with fungicide and all that stuff. There are many sites that detail the proper procedure so I won't go into that here. Our rule is to plant them in April each year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Personal Garden Logs

o

I thought about this post when I was watching Louis Miller talk about caladiums from Baton Rouge today. It occurred to me the difference with keeping caladiums in the ground here as opposed to Florida might be soil type. My understanding is soils in Florida are sandy--maybe not all, but most, right? Our soils are mostly very heavy clay. The drainage in winter, in Florida, and lack of it here, would have a lot to do with how well they over-wintered I'm sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here