Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mirliton

Posted by alblancher 8 (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 05 at 6:07

Anybody see any Mirliton seedlings in the New Orleans, Northshore area?

They are starting to show up in the grocery so I wonder if I can just try to start a couple of those?

Thanks,

Al

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mirliton

Yes, you can plant the ones in the store. The plants, however, are male and female and you need one of each to make fruit. I don't know how to tell what sex the plant will be from the fruit.

o

My wife is going to Lafayette this Sunday.
Is there a place near Lafayette/carencro that she can purchase potted mirilitons?

o

Hubby and I simply bought a couple of mirliton at the fruit stand and planted. This will be their 3rd year of production. Look at LSU agcenter web site - they have a great pdf file on growing these. good luck. If you are ever in Baton Rouge Naylor's had potted mirliton for sale.

o

I'm going to try growing these for the first time. Do check out the LSU Ag site. At another site (http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Articles/Mirletons.htm Jack Guidry from Lafayette gives this suggestion: Take several mirlitons and place them in a paper bag (leave it open for air flow) and set them in a cool, dark, dry place.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: LSU Ag site

o

Where can I buy local mirilitons. The ones I buy in the supermarket are not local and I cannot get them to bear fruit. I would like to buy some local seedlings or plants. I live in New Orleans. Thanks

o

See if you can click on this link or cut and paste this url address. It tells about what you are asking and a history and how Katrina destroyed most vines. They are trying to bring the vines back. Good luck. Try the French Quarter Farmers Market, other local farmer's markets, and LSU Ag Center for further info. Season for mirlitons is fall/December.

http://www.crescentcityfarmersmarket.org/uploads/file/A_Guide_to_Growing_Mirlitons.pdf

o

I've seen some at Rose Garden Center on the Westbank Expressway in Marrero before. You could call and ask if they have any at this time. 504-341-5664

o

I was wondering how many people grew these and how far north in Louisiana they do. I recently watched a video on youtube from a guy named John Kohler who grows them in northern California.

http://www.youtube.com/user/growingyourgreens This is the link to his site which gives you his most recent video. The guy converted his whole yard into raised beds for vegetables.

I am thinking of trying to grow chayote or mirlitons along a fence. One other thought was how to best utilize any fruit that may be produced.

o

Check out www.mirlitons.org

o

You do NOT need a male and female mirliton. Only one is required. To learn all you ever wanted to know about mirlitons go here. http://mirlitons.org/
Also , the grocery store mirliton will not produce fruit and will probably not survive.
Get a heirloom Louisiana mirliton. You can sign up for notification when and where they are available at the link shown. If you do get one, don't let it cross pollinate with another variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: mirlitons.org

This post was edited by one800fish on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 13:29

o

Hi,
I am looking to plant some Mirliton this year, family farm, nothing large -- am looking for anyone who sells them on the North Shore of the Lake -- around Slidell or Picayune, Mississippi.
Thanks for any help
Kevin

o

i found my local mirlitons at our local farmers mkt.i live in bay st. louis, short drive from nola.this is always a great place to ask questions about local fruit and veggies...

o

Alligator pears. People used to grow them up a tree.
Stuff them like bell peppers and bake in the oven.
real cajun cooking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here