Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting season

Posted by lizzy1972 8 (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 8:55

It is colder longer & I should have planted / transplanted already for spring/summer garden my question is .... I have put a no dig garden together and was wondering when it is safe to put my seedlings out in the garden? I have had to restart seeds twice because of a cat attack. I'm getting frustrated. Any thoughts about a south louisiana no dig garden would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting season

Lizzy, I'n not sure if you will get a lot of feedback on this LA/MS limited forum. So you may want to post your question on the Vegetable Garden Forum. Your success is not likely to be related to location, so feedback from other areas will be just as beneficial. And, if I recall correctly, I think there was a recent post on the above forum wherein those responding had good results with their no-dig gardens.

On timing to put out transplants and plant seeds, I'd say go for it. We've had cooler than normal weather lately but it is now may and I expect the pendulum to start moving in the other direction. You did not mention your plant selection but you are probably at optimal timing for some of the warmer weather choices - squash, canteloupe, okra, eggplant, Chinese long beans...

o
RE: planting season

For the cat attacks you might like to try chicken wire. I do have a cat that did like sleeping on the wire, but if you do a few cuts here and there and turn the points up that should take care of that problem. If you are using rows you might want to cut it to fit between the rows? We have a snail slug problem here and I am just learning to use all those ground up egg shells to protect my seedlings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here