Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wild_rose_gw

North Mississippi Gardeners?

wild_rose
15 years ago

I have recently moved from Memphis to the country about 30 miles from Starkville and am in the process of landscaping this old property. I am trying to use the old fashioned passalong plants like one would expect to find at a country farm house built in the 1940's/50's.

Where are my fellow North Mississippi gardeners?

The Tennessee GW forum is extremely active with people from East, Middle, and West Tennessee all posting. In a couple of weeks the Middle Tennessee Plant Swap will be held at a state park near Nashville. This will be the eighth year for that region's Spring swap. (They also have one in the Fall.) People from both East and West Tennessee drive 3 1/2 to 4 hours to attend because it's so great even though both the East and West region have already had their own swaps. 150 or so are expected to come - including me since I haven't seen any mention of plant swaps on this forum except one with no replay on the Exchanges side last spring.

I'd be willing to organize a swap next spring if any of y'all are interested in having one. - Virginia

Comments (14)

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

Hi Virginia, I hear about that Tennessee swap and it sounds glorious. I never can make it up there, though.
    I'm in the Tupelo area, but I go to Starkville regularly becoz my son attends MSU. He's home for the summer now. There are a couple garden clubs around. I know there is one in Tupelo, although I haven't joined. I see them in the newspaper but I get afraid that I wouldn't fit in. When I lived in Louisiana, all the neighbors gardened, just trying to beautify each little house plot. We all traded and helped each other, and gave each other ideas etc. (Read my page and you'll see my story). Welcome to this forum, it is not as active as it used to be. I think Louisiana folks seem more active and so do the south Mississippians. Maybe becoz they can garden virtually year round. I don't know much about a plant swap but I would be interested if it was not too far to drive to.
    Laurie

• allenada2
    15 years ago

I'm in the Starkville area--1 mile from MSU. I've puttered with plants here and there but want to really begin learning how to get the most out of our three acres. I'd love to get "zone specific" advice from more experienced gardeners.

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

Allenda, ask any questions you want on these forums. You will get alot of good advice. Also try to find your county agent or master gardeners for Oktibbeha county. They will have a lot of free info and booklets.
    Laurie

• wild_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi both of you! Louisianagal, I know what you mean about being afraid about not fitting in garden clubs. Most of those have reputations of being snooty, but when you go and get to know the people, they're just the opposite. As a whole, gardeners are a friendly bunch - just like you describe your Louisiana neighbors. In Memphis I was a member of the Memphis Horticulture Society and the MidSouth Hosta Society. Joining clubs like that are great ways to meet people who share your love of gardening and learn a lot of things you didn't know you didn't know. Just suck up your shyness and do it. I have a dear friend in Baton Rouge and I just love strolling through her garden and finding hidden treasures. She's like her garden - a treasure.

Allenda, the same advice I gave LAgal goes to you. Are there any garden clubs in the Starkville area? If there are, join. I've never gardened in Starkville - when I lived there I was a student and lived in an apartment. However, there shouldn't be much difference between here and there. If you need help with anything I'll be happy to try to answer your questions. One bit of unsolicited advice is not to just assume something that is supposed to be hardy in zones 7-9 will grow here. There are a lot of plants that grow perfectly well in the Pacific Northwest but can't stand our hot humid summer days and warm nights.

I'm serious about having a swap. I attended the Middle Tennessee one five of the eight years they've been having one I missed the first year, and then the past two I was unable to go for one reason or another. Swaps are such great fun. If you ever start going to them, you don't ever want to quit. MidTN goes all out and has a pot luck lunch as well as a speaker. Anything even remotely garden related is eligible for swapping, not just plants. There's really not that much to do putting one together (don't let the organizers of any swap hear me say that LOL). There are different methods and which method would have to be decided in advance. Basically, you bring your plants and something to eat, then have fun exchanging and meeting other people who love to garden. If I had one here, I'd probably also put up notices and advertise in the newspaper. I might even go so far as see if Felder Rushing would announce the swap on his Friday morning radio program. He did just that for the plant swap earlier this spring in Flora.

Basically, I just want to get to know other gardeners who live near me. I sure hope more of the North Mississippi and even Central Mississippi gardeners start posting to this forum.

Virginia (Ginger)

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

A lady at work (hospital) has a swap every spring. She just had one but I couldn't go. She has beautiful yard/gardens. She just puts a flyer up at work and also mentions it (word of mouth). She asks that everyone bring a salad and a plant to swap. It is pretty neat, the salad idea, becoz it keeps from being a heavy meal, and there are lots of salads to try. She also had door prizes, just little gifts, I won a handmade stepping stone. Another swap I went to had some door prizes too - gardening books. I would even love to get old copies of gardening magazines, I just love to read them but they are so expensive at the checkout. I would love to have a swap. I wonder if that garden area by MSU could be used if it got to be a big event. It looks like an Asian garden right near the Northvillage housing area on 82. Easy to find but very sunny.

• wild_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Laurie, the swap you describe sounds perfect. I'm having to make a Lowes and WalMart run today so I'll check out the garden area by MSU when I'm in Starkville.

I live in the little community of Chester about 5 miles NW of Ackerman, and I actually have plenty of room to have the swap with shade trees. If there's not enough room to park cars, there's plenty of parking spaces at the church across the street.

Now I'm getting excited and looking forward to meeting lots of new friends.

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

well i live right near the natchez trace in tupelo and you look to be near the trace too, so that should be easy to find if we can get this going.
    laurie

• bluebetty
    15 years ago

I live in Olive branch...keep me updated on the swap plans

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

maybe we should plan it for the fall.
    fall is a great planting time.
    that might give us time to make some cuttings.
    also we could have seeds to swap.
    laurie

• wild_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A fall swap sounds good. That's the perfect time to divide many perennials too. I'm easy to find - almost exactly 3.5 miles off the Trace.

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

everyone, make sure to check in every couple weeks. make cuttings now if you can and save seeds if you can. if you have any gardening books or magazines, or find a very cheap little garden gift, save it. we really need to get a swap going.
    laurie

• backyardgrown
    15 years ago

Waving from the NW corner! I live in Batesville, and I'm in the process of making some huge changes in my yard. A swap would be great! I can definitely make some cuttings and gather seeds between now and then.

As a matter of fact, I was forced to make a new Veronica plant or two when my dog unceremoniously broke a piece of mine off. I stuck it in a pot of dirt and it has some nice roots on it already! It has really taken off since I planted it there a couple of years ago, and is very easy to root. My echinacea also produces great seed, and some of the ones that dropped last year are plants now.

I also have a boat load of perennial seeds I need to go ahead and plant so I'll have plantlets ready to go this fall!

Woo!

Jennifer

• allenada2
    15 years ago

Okay, now I'm finished with Vacation Bible School and can really look forward to a swap.

One fun heirloom I have is "Jewels of Opar." I'll be sure to bring some of these.

• mary0520
    15 years ago

Im in southaven / olive branch area. I have swapped some iris this year and gave away a bunch of them. I have the double flower orange daylilly. they are really pretty this year. Lots of flowers on them.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals