Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wavygravy_gw

Anyone growing Pole Beans?

wavygravy
14 years ago

Never grew pole beans down here, but am trying rattlesnake, and Kentucky wonders. Also have a small row of Chinese noodle or yard long beans. I am really wondering how the first two will do in the heat and humidity here. Anyone grew them before?

Tomatoes are doing well, Black from Tula, Hillbilly and Mortgage lifter. So far BFT has more blooms and small fruit than the other two.

Other than torrential downpours that washed out seed its been a good gardening year so far.

Sam

Comments (10)

• louisianagal
    14 years ago

I have grown Kentucky pole beans, I grow on bamboo teepees and chain link fence. I don't know what is a good crop or not, but I get enough for the family. I love to make bean soup in fall/winter. I am growing Celebrity and Better Boy tomatoes. Have flowers on all and fruit on some. I'm in the Tupelo area.
    Laurie

• Joeray
    14 years ago

Rattlesnake and Yard Long beans do well for me; I'm in Baton Rouge, LA.

• nina1_gardener
    14 years ago

I'm growing Rattlesnake and Butterscotch my daughter gave me. I think they are pole beans. I have never grown this before. I'm sort of new to the south. Came here in 1999 from Napa County CA. I had to learn all kinds of things being it's so different here. This is my first post to this garden forum. Been taking advantage of a few cooler days before it gets hot and humid again. I'm 64 years of age it's hard work for me. I'm overweight so I carry more around. A bad knee has lowed me down. It feels so good to get outside and work hard.

This year we have expanded our garden. In California we didn't have big lawns. Here there huge!

• wavygravy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for answering. Hope the three types do well for me as too.

sam

• jimgood41
    14 years ago

Have a 40' row in one of my raised beds. First time in years I've raised any. A friend gave me seed from some his grandmother has been saving for years. Don't know what they are but are bearing great and very tasty.

• wavygravy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Turning blue hot here in Mississippi. Rattlesnake beans are bearing pretty well, had a mess for supper tonight. Very tasty. KY Wonders are blooming well, but no beans. The healthiest of the bunch are the Chinese Yard long bean, they seem to love the heat and are growing and blooming up a storm. The Heirloom french wax beans (bush) don't seem to like the heat at all, be suprised if they do anything.

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

As summer gets here and the heat sets in, the beans will begin to slow down production. Blooming will drop off. When you first notice this, be sure to side dress your beans with a sprinkling of Epsom salts. Since you are cultivating around them, add a light sprinkling of fertilizer. This will start them to blooming and they will make beans late into the summer as long as they get adequate water. Rattlesnake beans and Ky Wonder should do well and provide a enough beans for fresh eating all summer and plenty for freezing or canning if your rows are long enough. A 100 ft row should provide around 120-150 pounds of beans. That should be enough beans to eat fresh one meal each week and enough frozen beans for one meal a week out of season. If you can the beans, be sure to add some salt to your water. It helps keep them tasting fresher.

• wavygravy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So far the Rattlesnake and Chinese Noodle beans have out produced the KY. Wonders. We have had several messes of Rattlesnake, and got a mess of the long beans this a.m. KY wonders are starting to make some beans now.

The rattlesnake's have a good flavor, the wife braises them with kale, garlic etc.

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Try deep frying the beans. Mix and egg with a tablespoon of water. Dip the beans in the egg and then in garlic seasoned bread crumbs. Deep fry until bread crumbs are golden brown. I love beans boiled and seasoned with onion and salt pork, bacon, ham or ham bone in the traditional Southern way, but the fried ones are really good.

• natal
    14 years ago

Bought my bush beans for the fall garden. They always seem to do better then. Trying a new variety this year ... Festina.

I'm not from the south, but my mom always made the overcooked version with some form of pork and potatoes. Although that's good my preference has become steamed or roasted. Really like 'em steamed and tossed with lightly sauteed cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and lemon zest.

Sponsored