Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavinton_gw

A small slender snake

lavinton
17 years ago

Help please -- I can not find picture of this little guy on line ------A small green snake was moving fast through my tomato plants yesterday . Only about 8- 10-inches long --very thin round body -- and I think a flat head . It was headed toward a big rosemary bush on the side of a drain ditch ? Harmless you think ?

Thanks

Carol

Comments (11)

• tamivileine
    17 years ago

Definitely yes.

There's only really three poisonous snakes around here that you are likely to see, and really only likely to see one of those three. Cottonmouth or water moccasin (most likely), copperhead (less likely), or coral snake (rather unlikely). There are rattlers this far south, but not many. Again, you'll probably only get to see a moccasin or maybe a copperhead this far south.

sea ya
    tami
    And even the poisonous snakes kill rats and vermin, so unless they're just right up to your house, leave 'em alone.

• wayne_mo
    17 years ago

Definitely harmless. Most likely a Rough Green Snake by the color and thinness.

Doesn't match any of our venomous snakes (copperheads, cottonmouths, rattlesnakes) which are all very thick-bodied (except coral snakes) and also don't fit the color description.

So no worries..

• BelindaM
    17 years ago

I'm sorry I don't care if he's red white and blue =. If I see a snake he's a dead snake!

• wayne_mo
    17 years ago

We share something in common. For both you and I whether a snake is venomous or not is irrelevant. I leave them all alone to live another day regardless of whether they are venomous or not. You go after them and ensure that your first encounter is your last regardless of what kind it is.

But since the original poster asked if it was harmless, I'm guessing that unlike you and I who share in common that the distinction is irrelevant, the distinction matters to them.

We're a lot alike in our snake philosophies in that we don't see a bad snake/good snake distinction. We just differ on which side of the line they all fall on :-).

• lavinton
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks all ---My Dad has alway told me to identify it and if it is not venomous, leave it alone --- encouraged me to learn about them --- However I still feel threatened by even a harmless snake-----

Carol

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

Well, if you kill your nonvenomous snakes, don't whine about mouse, vole, or other vermin problems, because you have removed your own natural pest management system. If all the snakes magically disappeared, the land mass of the earth would be knee-deep in rodents (per Discovery Channel).

• lavinton
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"Well, if you kill your nonvenomous snakes, don't whine"

I agree ---and I know it is a totally irrational fear. I --Lol ---leave what I am doing --go back later or next day or so ---- when it has moved on ---

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

I understand the fear of snakes--understand we have Eve to thank for it--but every since I saw one eating a slug I have felt quite happy with them. MUCH rather have snakes--tho' I haven't seen any here since the neighbor was shrieking and hacking at one, and I had to go put it out of her misery!

• patzmeow
    17 years ago

Let the harmelss snakes stay...your less likely to have poisonous snakes if you have some harmless snakes in the area. I have a huge rat snake (5'+) that comes to eat about 6-8 chicken eggs every 4-5 weeks or so. I figure that is a more organic method to keep mice and rats away than using rat poison. She doesn't bother the chickens and they just get off of the nest when she comes to eat.

• aj7731
    16 years ago

they come in all green and green with yellow lines from head to tail. they are harmless, however remember even though a snake is harmless does not mean you will not get sick from it bites. It all depends on the individual.

It will not bother you all you have to do is make sure you give it space, take a stick, touch it and it will run away. it is afraid of you as much as one can be afraid of it.

God Bless

• katyk
    16 years ago

I keep a copy of "The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles & Amphibians" within easy reach during the spring, summer and fall. The snake you saw was probably either a rough green snake or eastern yellow-bellied racer, neither are venomous.

My favorite snake is the kingsnake because of the rats and mice in our shed and barn. You can't have enough kingsnakes!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm