Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help identifying critter digging holes in flower bed

Posted by lisa455 z9 LA (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 05 at 9:58

I live in Southeast Louisiana. Some critter is digging holes in my flower beds every night. I know I have wild rabbits nearby but there is no sign that the plants are being eaten, either the roots or the foliage. There are just holes everywhere. I have a drainage ditch behind my house. The lawn is not being disturbed and there is no sign of tunnels, just holes. I live on what was a cane field up until ten years ago, so there are no big trees nearby (so I think I can rule out squirrels). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help identifying critter digging holes in flower bed

Hey Lisa,
I live in the city but when we go camping the armadillos
come out and dig. We always wake up to holes dug every
where. Sounds like what you have. They dig for bugs
and grubs and such. They can tear up your yard. I'm
not sure what to tell you as far as how to get rid of
them. Maybe mothballs. I know alot of critters don't
like the smell. Good luck. Hope you had a wonderful
weekend.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Community Webshots

o

Thanks. That is what my neighbor thinks we have. Hope you had a good mother's day.

o

Squirrils dig holes constantly, especially if you have been planting new plants, they love to dig in the freshly turned dirt. They don't eat the plants, but sometimes when they are digging they will push them out of the ground. Pests!!

Betty

o

• Posted by jim2k mississippi (My Page) on
    Mon, May 9, 05 at 16:06

I agree with Deep south and you are in a prime location for them.Maybe a light and a 22 ball at night is the only way I know of they won't go in a live trap.Good luck Jim

o

• Posted by mdanos z9 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Tue, May 10, 05 at 13:55

Yep, sounds like those blasted armadillo's to me. I have a constant battle with those little guys. I HATE THEM!! I've tried traps, mothballs, soap, etc. Nothing works but a shotgun. Good luck.

o

I have caught them in the hav a heart trap. Put it up close to the flower bed. Stupid animals but make a lot of holes.

o

I don't really know what an armadillo is, but since we live about 50 from Chicago, I'm thinking it isn't one of those digging in my flower beds. Not squirrels either since we are in a new subdivision with only new trees. But something very similar to what you describe is playing in our yard at night. Holes and some digging, but no tunnels. I'm mostly worried about our two young trees. Any thoughts?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here