Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamivileine

Castor bean plant source near OS, MS?

tamivileine
18 years ago

Is anyone down here on the Coast carrying castor bean? I've seen it in a few yards, but I haven't seen it sold...

sea ya

tami

Comments (13)

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

A lot of seed sources carry it, but I don't remember seeing plants--my impression is it doesn't like to be transplanted. They may also be a little harder to find in nurseries because so many people are so afraid of their poisonous qualities. I'm going to see how well they transplant any day now--I have seedlings popping up in my yard from two years ago (last year things were such a mess whatever came up was under the weeds I guess.) I had planned on getting seeds for 'Carmencita' or other dark leaved variety and was almost sorry to see them starting to sprout, but mostly they're dark leaved so I don't mind (and I have enough other stuff to do!) Have you heard they're debating making it illegal to grow brugs and morning glories because of their hallucinogenic properties?

• Django
    18 years ago

Since you can go from seed to six foot high plant in a few months, I would just buy seeds from any local nursery.

• tamivileine
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey y'all

thanks for the advice, but I can't find hide nor hair of a seed or plant anywhere about

Django,

where in NOLA can I send my hub to get seed? And directions, if would be so kind

sea ya
    tami

• david1978jp
    18 years ago

I wish I had read your post earlier, I planted all I had a couple of weeks ago. I bought some from this ebay seller "rootertooter45"; I did not win the bet first, later, he offered me a "buy" at my max bet price. Shipping is $1.25. It is probably cheaper than driving around finding it.

Here is a link that might be useful: rootertooter45

• prt739
    18 years ago

A plant that we like which is similar to castor bean- only with dark red leaves all summer is:

Red Shield - hibiscus

No significant blooms,but great leaves. It can be bought as plants in Shreveport area, but I grow mine from seed under lights.

• bigeasyjock
    18 years ago

The red shield hbiscus is a very late bloomer. The flowers are the exact same color as the leaves so they don't pop out at ya. This is not a freeze hardy plant.
    Now as to caster beans. I had to wack back my plant some severe as it blew over in the last tropical storm that came tearing though. I should have seeds in another month or so if you care to wait that long. If not I'll ask around as I know several people with this plant. Did you want the green or maroon leaved form? Mine is the maroon.
    Mike

• tamivileine
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the offer, bigeasyjock! I'll take you up on that - let me know. Want something in trade?

Hey Django - still waiting to hear from you. Jay is in Houston all next week tho'

thanks both y'all,
    sea ya
    tami

• bigeasyjock
    18 years ago

I'll look around and see what I can find. Don't sweat a trade.
    Write me directly in a week or so to remind me as I may not remember where this post is located.
    Mike

• gardnpondr
    17 years ago

I want some of the redish looking castor beans. Do any of you know what they are called? I have the green ones already. I didn't save my seed last year though but will have them coming up all over the place here shortly I'm sure. I have transplanted them without any problems for a couple years now.

• tamivileine
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I ended up mail-ordering some beans from Diane's Flower Seeds in Ogden UT

I've received the seeds quickly. They look fresh and healthy. She also included some lagniappe. We'll see how they germinate, but so far I'm impressed with the service

and she takes paypal too

• gardnpondr
    17 years ago

Do you know what the name of the redish leaf ones are called? I really like those and I have no trouble growing the other ones here so those would probably do great as well.

• tamivileine
    Original Author
    17 years ago
  • dogpooponshoes
    17 years ago

I haven't been in a couple of weeks but the coolest plant place on the Coast is Plants and Things on hwy. 603 in BSL. Glenda and Red get in unsual things and may have a source for it. They really try to get in things other than the big box stores have. And, if you like tropicals, they are the go to place for here. Take 603 off 10, go south. They are on the right before you get to 90. Really easy to pass them. Little tiny place with big variety and they have the addiction in a bad way!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES