Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jefuchs

What's working for you in your garden?

jefuchs
15 years ago

Just curious to hear what other people in my area are having success with.

My wife is cooking our first batch of black-eyed eas now, and making smothered okra. Both are just getting to the point where we can eat some (because we planted a tiny garden, and had to wait until we accumulated enough to eat).

Snow peas were not very successful. We had a few, but nothing to brag about

Tomatoes are producing like crazy, but no new ones seem to be starting. I think we'll get a hundred all at once, then nothing else.

Greens of every description were a huge success. Can't go wrong with greens. If any amount of plant grows, you eat it! Too simple. Arugula was especially productive and pest free.

Turnips did well. They're finished for the year it seems.

Out bell peppers look weak, and are just starting to produce a little bit. We chopped one up today, and it's in the pot right now.

Egg plant is looking great, and just like last time (20 years ago) the white ones out-produce the purple. I'm SO looking forward to that harvest.

Basil is everywhere, and we've made a batch of pesto.

The potatoes seemed to produce in proportion to the effort I gave them. The plants seemed to die off early, but when I dug, I had nice-looking spuds!

Pole beans are doing well. I need to use shorter poles, so I can reach the beans.

Squash made a small but healthy crop.

my wife was dying for some corn, so after some other crops finished, she planted some. They're only about an inch tall so far.

Anyway... I want to know what crops really work well for you in our area, and what you avoid. This is my first garden in two decades, and I hope to improve on it every year.

Jeff

New Iberia, LA

Comments (3)

• karpes2
    15 years ago

Jeff
    I am also from New Iberia and if you post your address I will be over with my light and picking buckets. DonÂt load the shotgun yet, I am just kidding.
    Tomatoes
    I got a late start but they are doing well. Just started picking last week. I do believe that those cherry 100 hybrids could feed the world. I am also growing Brandywine. Beefsteak, better boy and my favorite big beef.
    Cucumbers
    Tendergreen burpless and they are doing well. I am picking some every couple of days.
    Pole beans
    Picking about one gallon every other day.
    Squash and Zucchini
    Another late start but it wonÂt be long now.
    Eggplant
    Picked my first two this week.
    Bell peppers.
    Big disappointment! I have been plagued with disease even while spraying fungicide once a week. I am going to bring some samples to HebertÂs to see if he can identify the problem.
    Peaches
    They did well but the squirrels got as many as I did.
    Figs
    The trees are loaded
    Muscadines
    Doing well and I will pick my first crop this year.
    Citrus
    Will have a good crop this year
    Jeff. PM me and maybe we can share notes.
    Karl

• User
    15 years ago

I could have sworn I made a post on this topic a few hours ago. I am having good luck with English peas, yellow squash, zuch, peppers, beans are doing really good this year, both bush and pole...I have Kentucky Wonder and Contender and blue lake..the onions did well but could have done better,,,the cabbage is heading up well and I think I will pick one this week. We are picking our first tomatoes, and they are wonderful. The little cherry tomatoes are so sweet and perfect for salads..I got my tags messed up so I can't tell one tomato plant from the other...I planted Heat Wave, Creole, Celebrity and I think Beefsteak....oh well, they will eat the same whether I know what they are or not.
    I am doing the square foot style with a little Ruth Stout thrown in and it is so easy. I love this style of gardening.
    If you would like to see my pics, here is my blog,,,the older posts have more of my earlier garden pics and how I set up my garden,,,

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Square Foot Gardening

• jefuchs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi karpes and iameve,

Good to hear of your successes. I've been out of gardening for 20 years. I had a square-foot garden back in the day when Mel Bartholomew had his TV show.

We took a trip to Italy last year and I was very impressed at the intensive gardening they do. Every scrap of land was planted with something. It inspired me to get back into gardening, if only on a very small scale.

My bell peppers aren't doing so great either. They don't look diseased, but just have a general unhealthy look. Producing a few peppers though.

I have about 100 square feet of garden, but not all of it is currently planted. We just added corn. Too late, I'm sure, but when space came available my wife wanted to plant something.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living