Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gamecocks

Bermuda Grass N.MS

GameCocks
18 years ago

I sewed common Bermuda grass late July 04' I did all of the soil test and pre-fertilization. I noticed in late October the yard starting to turn browm and thining out I tough it was going dormant. To date it has not come out and their are no signs that it wii. I want to re-seed but don't want to have the same problem any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• jim2k
    18 years ago

you may have got bad seed that already disease or fungus.All I know is to try again. good luck Jim

• oubliette
    18 years ago

Bermuda grass will freeze out in north MS. It also takes lots of fertilizer every year. It is just too much work. There are some hybrid bermudas that will perform better than common bermuda, but I prefer zoysia. Zoysia gets thick enough to choke out most weeds and require less maintenance, once established.

• User
    18 years ago

I don't know where you are in N. Miss to think that Bermuda will freeze out. It certainly does NOT. It's a damned invasive weed, and for well north of here on up to practically KY. Lots of friends in Nashville fight bermuda in their flower beds every year like I do. Fluziflop p butyl is my friend, and the only way I can come to detente with it in my flower beds. It grows better there than in the "lawn".

I think if you try to kill it, it makes it stronger. So, instead of trying to make it grow, try to kill it. Several applications of Roundup hardly faze it. :~(

But, seriously, the time to plant Bermuda is in late May, early June when it' heating up. It's hard, because all of the weeds are germinating then too. But, if you wait too late in the summer to plant, then it doesn't get established well enough and send roots down deep to be able to survive winter. If you can get it over that first winter, it's indestructible.

• oubliette
    18 years ago

You obviously don't know bermuda very well, Holly Springs. I come from a family who have grown it for hay for years, and it DOES freeze out some winters.

• michal_ms
    18 years ago

Bermuda grass does invade flower beds, but you can always use edging and round-up. Say what you want about its faults, it stands up great to MS heat, also wear and tear. It's tough. It also makes a beautiful lawn! Having a beautiful lawn is always work, no matter what grass you plant!

For our hot climate, I think it is a good choice! I've never had a problem with it getting to cold in winter for bermuda. My main problem (I have steep hills) is keeping enough moisture on it during our hot summers when we go so long between rains. I don't think zosia would make it at all under those conditions.

Michal

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations