Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wodka

What a beautiful spring we are having!

wodka
13 years ago

Is it just me, or does it seem like everything is blooming in technicolor this spring? Maybe it's because our plants and flowers are finally growing into their own. (We built a new house on a new lot 2 1/2 years ago.) Even the boring Stella d'Oro daylilies look like they are on steroids - so bright and plentiful. I was cursing the landscaper the first two years because they were so puny. Patience is key, I guess. My Little Gem magnolias are budding, my confederate jasmine is so fragrant and full on my fence, the Vitex trees will be blooming shortly. The Knockout roses are going nuts. Even the crinum lilies I planted last year are getting ready to blossom.

Thank goodness for flowers and gardens, to help take our minds off of the real world - ha. I could cut on the television and hear the latest on the oil spill in our Gulf, but why ruin my good mood?

Hope everyone is enjoying their yard as much as I am. Happy Mother's Day weekend!

Comments (4)

• jeanim
    13 years ago

Hi Wodka!! I was thinking about you today and planned to email you soon to see how your garden was growing. I've been having so much fun this spring watching everything grow...and buying new plants! We're still trying to get everything in just the right place so we did move several shrubs to different locations and planted new ones in their old spaces. My roses are blooming, the hydrangeas are putting on lots of buds, the confederate jasmine's scent is everywhere...yes, life is good!

I lost a few palm trees to the cold winter temps but overall it probably did everything good to get a deep chill. Seems like the blooms are bigger? ;~) Today I bought 3 Vitex trees and hope to get them planted tomorrow. I've been on a tree kick this year and we've planted 2 Red Maples, a Bottlebrush tree and 2 more Natchez crape myrtles. Can't wait til it's all blooming "next year". LOL

• natal
    13 years ago

Been loving the star jasmine filling the air, even though it competes with the ligustrums on the other side of the yard.

My neighbor planted a Vitex directly opposite mine along the fence, so we should have quite a show in a couple weeks.

Coneflowers, cosmos, and salvias are starting to bloom along with the daylilies. It's a special time of year for sure!

• wodka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

natal, I love the Vitex trees! I have three that anchor my courtyard and I can't wait for them the bloom! And such an easy-maintenance tree, too.

Tell me more about cosmos. Did you plant yours from seed? Is it too late to seed or plant them? I've never dealt with them before, but you've piqued my interest!

I had coneflowers in my pre-Katrina yard and loved them. Might have to look for a few of those, too!

• natal
    13 years ago

Wodka, I tried cosmos last year for the first time. Heard so many positive things about them on the Cottage Gardening forum. This year I tossed the seed in a few more places. The ones blooming now have smallish flowers, but they're perfect for a small vase and they seem to last awhile. Also sowed all white and drawf gold. Neither of those have started blooming yet. I figured it's a cheap thing to trial. I just picked up a few more packs of seeds the other day.

From what I've read Cosmos bipinnatus (pink, burgundy, and white) does best in the spring and fall. Cosmos sulphureus (yellow, orange, and mahogany) is more heat tolerant. So we'll see what does best. I also read they don't like rich soil, so no fertilizer.

Sponsored