Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herren_gw

SVB times (month, generation, etc)

herren
14 years ago

I'm new to gardening in the south. I rocked a fantastic organic container garden last year and thought I was ready to roll with the big guys. I started a nice sized plot this year, and I am under attack!!!!

I had never heard of SVB but all of the squash I so eagerly planted has been infected. I've had to uproot and destroy most of my vines, and am desperately trying to save (without much hope) what remains.

From my understanding the South produces 2 generations of SVB. Is this true?

I didn't notice the moths start up as I didn't know what to look for....anyone know when they typically appear down here? From my understanding of the egg & larva timing we should expect the 2nd generation 1 1/2 to 2 months after the first....I'm trying to figure out when that will be ;) And to better plan for next year.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

• deep_south_gardener
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Herren,
    Welcome to the south. It's a challenge to garden with
    the heat, humidity and rain. I have a small place and
    don't grow squash so I can't help you with your question.
    Just wanted to say Hey and Welcome. Good luck. Maybe
    check in on the Veggie Forum.

Brenda
    NOLA

• wally_1936
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You might want to try growing VINE squash. The vines are a little tougher and you just may need to learn the times of when these moths come around and plant them before or after. I plant butternut squash and acorn and they don't seem to bother them at all. I always lose my yellow or zuccini squash almost as soon as they start to mature so don't bother anymore. Somesay place blue foil around the base of your plants as they may think it is sky and won't light, but I just wouldn't trust this as so far I have never tried same.

[from a website]
    Identification
    The adult borer resembles a wasp. It is about 1/2 inch long with an orange abdomen with black dots (fig. 1). The first pair of wings is metallic green while the back pair of wings is clear, although that may be hard to see as the wings are folded behind them when they at rest. Eggs are flat, brown, and about 1/25 inch long. The larvae are white or cream-colored with brown heads, growing to almost an inch in length.
    Many of us in the southern Appalachians are watching with delight as our tiny garden plants finally begin to take off. Now, at last, they seem to be responding to our care, safely outgrowing the pests that have threatened to devour them. The late frosts are finally past, the cool mornings are gone, and the garden seems unstoppable. Right now, however, the loveliest, but most insidious of garden pests arrives: the squash borer moth.

These moths lay copper-colored eggs on the stems of squash plants just above the level of the ground. The eggs are not easy to see, but look like a row of tiny b.b.s on the green stems. In only a few days, the eggs hatch and the hungry caterpillars cut their way into the center of the stem. There the caterpillars live, safe from predators and from pesticides. They eat the heart of the squash stem, eventually killing the entire plant. A little pile of sawdust-like feces oozing from a hole in the stem is all youÂll see.

You mostly donÂt know that your squashes harbor the caterpillars until it is too late. If you catch them early enough, either split the stems lengthwise and remove the worms, or ram a piece of wire into the hole and skewer them. The squash stem will heal, and if covered over with soil, it will sprout more roots. Unfortunately, once the plants are wilted and dying because of the feasting caterpillars, there isnÂt much you can do. Prevention is the only medicine.

The adult moths are present for just a couple of weeks in late June, sometimes lingering into early July. Some people cover their plants with row covers during this time so that the moths canÂt get to the plants. However, this also prevents honeybees or other pollinators from pollinating the flowers. Others use organic pesticides such as neem, pyrethrin, or rotenone to dust the bases of the plants, which is also a bit of a trick. Those same pollinators are killed by pesticides just as effectively as the squash borer. Still others pile soil around the plants right up to the first true leaves, which discourages, but doesnÂt prevent, the moths from laying eggs. A daily spritzing of the squash stems with soapy water will kill the eggs and is also a great way to kill aphids on other plants without harming pollinators. If you must use pesticides, only apply them in the late evening after the blooms have closed.

If your zucchini, pumpkin, and yellow squash plants died last year, be on the look-out for the moths. They less often bother butternut squash, cucumbers, or melons because the stems are small and hard.

The moth itself is beautifulÂhardly the picture of devastation! Almost all the moths whose larvae are borers are clear-winged moths. You can actually see through their hind-wings! Squash borers are about an inch long. They have brightly-colored, orange and black, furry tufts on their bodies and legs. They fly low and very fast. The clear wings, bright colors, size, and flight pattern make them look like wasps instead of moths.

So if you see pretty wasps visiting your squash plants in late June and early July, look a little closer. They might be the beginning of the end of your squash plants! Catch and destroy any adult moths, and protect your plants. If your plants are severely infected, pull them up and either burn or crush them flat to kill the larvae. Check daily for the eggs on the stems, and Good Luck!

Hope this will be of some help
    Paul

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!