Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amelia_pepper_lady

Year-round blooms

amelia_pepper_lady
15 years ago

I recently discovered that my husband likes blooming plants. (I like peppers and foliage plants.) He would like to have something blooming all year. So, I'm trying to work up a list of "wants/wishes" to accomodate this.

So far, I have lilies, amaryllis, a variety of spring bulbs, and hibiscus. I know I want gardenia, camellia, and azalea. I do NOT want roses!

Any suggestions? Please indicate blooming time for any suggestions.

Comments (9)

• natal
    15 years ago

Pentas ... bloom late spring through fall.

Abutilon pictum (flowering maple) ... blooms almost year round and hummingbirds love it!

Lantana ... blooms spring through fall.

Plumbago ... blooms all summer until first frost.

• quiltingfox
    15 years ago

I have some new gold lantana seed and some ROS seed, purple and white, all of which I got in trades that I can share. PLMK if you would like some.

Best to you,
    Quiltingfox

• mcbdz
    15 years ago

Hey,
    Don't know if you are still checking this thread, but just in case I'd add white butterfly ginger lilies(late summer/fall, smells like honey suckle at night) and maybe irises(spring mostly). Oh, canas,(all summer) they have some with gorgous folage.
    Pattie

• Donna
    15 years ago

I grow a huge variety of plants so that I literally do have several somethings blooming every month of the year. It would be impossible to list them all, so below are my favorites.

Early spring (February-April): Pansies, Daffodils: Campernelle usually starts it off by the first week of February. Spireas

March/April: Phlox Divaricata (Woodland phlox): clouds of beautiful lavender blue flowers for weeks, Snow Flurry Verbena, Gulf Coast Penstemon, Spireas, Loropetalums

April/June or so: hydrangeas: Endless Summer, Blushing Bride, Oak Leaf, and a number of other macrophyllas, some of which came with me here from New Orleans 20 years ago.
    DAYLILIES (don't even get me started:).

July to August: Roses (I know, you don't want them, but WHY? :), Salvia guaranitica, Black and Blue; Crinums (who needs Oriental Lilies, when you've got crinums? and they bloom repeatedly!); Rain Lilies (Zephyranthes); Annuals: salvia farinacea, Victoria; Profusion Zinnias; Zinnia angustifolia (narrow leaf zinnia)

August to September: Encore azaleas; Hydrangea Paniculata, Tardiva; hibiscus; Cannas; several kinds of black eyed susans, of which Gloriosa Daisies are my favorites; Cupheas (cigar plant)

September to November: Sasanqua Camellias, Salvia Leucantha, Purple Muhly Grass, Swamp Sunflower (Helianthus)

November to January: Camellia Japonicas, Hellebores

• mrskjun
    15 years ago

I see you asked Donna...why no roses? We have varieties that do wonderful in our climate, and they bloom from spring thru fall and some beyond.

• amelia_pepper_lady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I actually love roses. However, the feeling is not reciprocated.

A rose bush or rooted cutting will die within 2 weeks of becoming mine. I don't know why. (My mother has beautiful roses -- as long as I don't touch them.)

• Donna
    15 years ago

Come on now! You shouldn't give up so easily! All you need is bagged manure, a really big hole, mulch, and water! There are lots of roses that do well with little or no care. (Could it be you're loving them TOO much?) The Knockouts are great, especially the new double red one. I just acquired a new one called OSO Easy Paprika. It is beautiful. The blooms are small, about the size of a half dollar, red orange with a yellow eye, and they're fragrant. They're only two to three feet high and wide and are absolute blooming machines. Nearly Wild is a great everblooming pink. Valentine is a nice cherry red. Nagadoches is a wonderful yellow. Little White Pet and Cassie are everblooming whites. These are all landscape roses. You probably wouldn't cut them for your house, but they are great for color from spring through fall. You need to check out the Antique Rose Emporium website. Roses are too nice not to grow!

• letsharmonize
    15 years ago

i love your list of year-round blooms, donna!

• Donna
    15 years ago

It's only fair that if you have six month of HOT summer, you ought to have flowers year round. :)