Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Intro

Posted by ckbozeman 7b/8a (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 15:02

Hi all,
First time poster.
I live in west-central MS and bought new-to-me a house last fall. This spring I snatched out the entire contents of the front flower bed and started from scratch. It's very beautiful and I'm very proud of my work :) Now I'm just waiting for everything to fill out a little.
My husband and I are planting our first veggie garden. Yesterday we got grape tomatoes, eggplants and an assortment of sweet and hot pepper plants in the ground. Still have a bunch of seeds to get in, hopefully today. I hope to grow the veggies with as few chemicals as possible. I am a "dog person" and feed my dogs fresh, raw veggies with their regular meals. I try very hard to not feed them chemical-laden foods.
Any tips you can offer to a first time vegetable gardener (especially tips on organic gardening) will be welcomed.
Nice to be here,
CKBozeman

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Intro

Don't plant everything at once otherwise you can end up with what's politely termed 'a glut' (more than you can handle at a time).

Set aside an area that you can protect from hungry snails and friends, and scritching birds - and use seedling planters to start small quantities of veggies you know you love to eat - plus some you'd like to try.

If you prefer leaf salads, start your varieties in flats or punnets for planting out once the first crop has come to the end of its production. If you like heads of lettuce or other saladings work out how many you think you'll be needing and for when - then get the seeds started with a few for possible losses or gifts. While they're growing to plant out size you can either have another crop in the ground or be getting the soil ready for the fast growth saladings need. Planting into cells helps you avoid transplant shock, or you might use peat pots.

Reliable watering is essential.

Always add new compost to the soil before replanting an area, to maintain vigour. (Not 'raw' pre-breakdown compost - good and well-aged. you may have to buy it in for the first year while your own bins get to working.)

Use a planting calendar for your area to work out when to get seed in the ground or planter to get out the crop you want. Use the info on the back of the seed packet to work out how far ahead you need to prepare.

o
RE: Intro

Hi CK, Welcome to the boards. Sounds like you got some
good advice from vetivert. You can also check with
your local ag center or check your local library for
local books on gardening. Good luck and please post pics.

Brenda
NOLA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here