Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My brothers funeral plant is dying, please help identify?

Posted by smpauley Louisiana (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 07 at 15:31

Hi,

I have a plant from my brothers funeral which was in Jan. 2007 The lady at the funeral home removed all identifying tags from every plant. I have one that I cant figure out what it is and cant call the flower shop because we dont know where they all came from. It is in very bad shape, and is dying. I have been wattering it once a week, but not knowing what it is I cant properly care for it. I am feeling pretty bad because I am killing it. Can someone please help me identify this dying plant and maybe give me info on how to save it PLEASE?

ABOUT THE PLANT (As accurate as I could, I am not a plant person, but tried researching):

Leaf shape: Oblanceolate or Elliptic
Leaf Apices: Acute
Leaf Bases: Cuneate
Leaf Types: Palmate or Digitate
Leaf Margins: Entire (smooth all around)

The plant from the soil has many long thick stems growing upward, (the roots are really coiled around in the pot)which has stems coming from them that hold the leaves. The leaves almost look like they grow out into a circle like a flower but it has no flowers just all leaves, they have between 6 and 9 leaves on the end of each stem. I have a link to some photos, but if it does not work, I could send a picture to anyone willing to help. Thanks in advance. Sheila

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 pictures of my plants

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My brothers funeral plant is dying, please help identify?

Looks like a scheffelera or umbrella plant. Maybe it needs to be outside on a patio. Mine grows outside in part sun under the overhang of my house.

o

I also have one and don't know the name, but I only water when it gets dry and seems to be okay. I think perhaps you are overwatering. I also repotted it into a larger container soon after I got it. It grows slowly and loses leaves rather regularly, but continues to thrive.

o

I have two of the same plants. First, take them out of the pots and cut off a majority of the curled roots. They are rootbound and needs a fresh start. Next, put them back in the pot, put it outside in the shade and give it pleanty of water. Make sure it rehydrates. Not just run off down the sides of the pot. Put a bowl or something under the pot to hold about 5 inches of water and water from the top first. Then keep the bowl full of water until the soil is completely rehydrated. Fertilizer with Miracle grow or just anything you have. Don't let it dry out. It loves water and and drops leaves and goes limp when dried out. After you are sure the plant is rehydrated, remove the bowl and just keep your plant moist. I keep mine outside all year long unless I know we are having a deep freeze. Good luck and let us know how you do.

o

How is your plant doing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here