Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Edamame Beans?

Posted by hot2garden S. Louisiana (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 16:42

Anyone growing Edamame Beans in S. Louisiana? Would like to give a try and would appreciate any tips you can share, like did you grow bush or pole? What is the best time of the year to plant? Would you plant again?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Edamame Beans?

You're in luck! Edamame are nothing more than 'immature Soybeans'. And Soybeans definitely grow in South Louisiana. I'd go to some Organic sites, to see which varieties of Soybean are recommended for a home garden in your climate. If there are heirloom varieties available, those would be the best choice, because they would be adapted to being grown by actual people...rather than by giant chemical-spewing machines.

Funny, but I was the first one to raise the alarm about Chinese-grown Edamame...at least at the healthfood store in South Louisiana where I read the label, a few years back, and asked the staff if they realized they had frozen Edamame from China, and how dangerous that might be. A few months later, of course, the whole scandal about Chinese producers and melamine...etc...etc...dominated the news. I was tempted to drive down there just to say "Told you so!"

You're smart to grow your own. Good luck!

Until we moved across the continent, we were 'subscribers' to an organic farmer's 'Vegetable Club' (we paid, at the start of the season, for a share of their production), and they gave us Edamame a time or two. Rather a bit of work, since you have to shell them, like you would Field Peas...

And while you're planting, try Amaranth Greens. They are dark red (related to Cockscomb flowers), with a strong flavor that's pure heaven in a Vegan Gumbo.

Bon apetit!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here