Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taproses

blueberry bushes for North La.

taproses
16 years ago

Hello everyone:

I am wanting to grow blueberries and rasberries in my back yard. I live in Northwest La and can't find any healthy looking plants to buy to get started. I also want to make sure I buy the right cultivars for my area. Help! Any suggestions on how and where to find what I am looking for?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• karpes2
    16 years ago

I am growing Tifblue, Climax and premier in containers. Blueberries require acid soil around 5 PH. Test your soil or consider growing in containers. Here is a link that will help.
    http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres/978B056A-B3F8-47B1-A8DB-1944FB726556/35458/pub1884homeorchardHIGHRES.pdf

• timintexas
    16 years ago

Don't sweat the P.H.- in your area it is undoubtably fine. Really, the only thing you need to worry about is what class of Blueberries you grow. What you need are any of the varities in the Rabbiteye group. There are many named cultivars...tiffblue, climax, powder blue...the list goes on and on.
    Nice thing is that the species V. Asheii, is native the South. Almost goof-proof to grow. Keep them watered the first few years till established and then they become very drought resistant. This time of year it is a bit hard to find much for sale around but, if no luck, go to danfinch.com----they have a HUGE selection of rabbiteye that they sell bareroot very cheap in the winter/spring. Explore this site, it is very helpfull. I am a commercial grower and buy from them. Quality is excelent!
    You can also grow the Southern High bush class but they require a bit more care and tend to bloom a bit to early for our area. Just remember....Rabbiteye.

• jagladyla
    16 years ago

If you are near Shreveport there is a Garden center in Keithville on Hwy 171 that has a lot of the best types for here. I have never failed to get what I want there.
    It is called La. Nursery

• JWRIGHT_BASSPECAN_COM
    12 years ago

If you are coming through the Mississippi- Bass Pecan Company sales blueberry bushes for a great price. They have a Canton, MS location. 18007322671

Sponsored