Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ldufre2

Veggie watering and SVB

ldufre2
14 years ago

Hi All,

I'm a relatively new vegetable gardner and have some questions about the best method of watering in the deep south. I've read differing opinions: every day v. deep watering every few days but none pertaining to our unique heat in deep south Louisiana.

My second question is about Squash Vine Borers invading my Zuccini plans. The stems at the base of my plants are split long ways, but I don't see any saw dust like material or larve. Is it possible I have a different problem and not SVB?

Thanks in advance

Comments (2)

• louisianagal
    14 years ago

I don't know about the borers, other than they will probably be visiting my squash soon, first time I planted squash.
    As to the watering, when I gardened in extreme southeastern La., I would water every few days, deeply. Make note of when it rained and how much, a rain gauge is invaluable. I would write it on the calendar, becoz you will forget.
    Plants sometimes wilt a little, or even a lot, in the afternoon heat, this does not always indicate a need for water, as they will perk up in the morning. Raised beds are good for the drainage too.

• natal
    14 years ago

Ditto what Louisianagal said. Better to water deeply a couple times a week (barring rain) rather than a little every day.

Can't help with the squash ... borers were always a problem when I grew them. Now I just buy at the farmers' market instead, lol.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus