Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanim_gw

Pineapple guava shrub

jeanim
14 years ago

Hi everyone! I just bought a beautiful little shrub called pineapple guava. Has anyone here grown this? I researched it a little and the nursery where I bought it told me full sun and that it was "similar to a fig tree" in size when grown. I am considering planting it on the southwest corner of my house. Do you think this might be a good location? I live on the MS. Gulf Coast.

Thanks for any comments!!

Jeani

Comments (8)

• jeanim
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vetivert, thank you sooo much for all the info!! I will try to find a spot a little furthur out from the house for it.
    I do have a bottlebrush shrub and love the flowers on it so am very excited about seeing this shrub in bloom.
    Thanks again!

• karpes2
    14 years ago

Jeanim
    The white flower petals are edible and quite delicious. One other bonus is that Feijoa is evergreen.
    Karpes

• wodka
    14 years ago

Hi, jeanim. I live on the Miss. Gulf Coast, too. Would you mind sharing where you found your pineapple guava? I would love to have one, as we have very few trees. We built our new home (after losing ours to Katrina) on a new lot with virtually no trees, in 2007. We have an oak tree and a red maple (that looks pitiful when it sheds its leaves for the winter), and that's about it for trees! I love the fact that the guava is an evergreen....

Thanks!

• petite_orange
    14 years ago

Hi Jeanim -
    I grew this for many years in south LA. Though I had 2 trees, I found that it would not cross-pollinate, so I would borrow flowering branches from a friend and commit a perverse act upon my trees. I finally took them out because the fruit proved to be disappointing and I wanted something that would produce a tastier fruit (another type of guava).
    That said, it is a very lovely evergreen small tree/giant shrub. Mine grew to 15+ feet in about 5 years (from 2" pots). They are extremely attractive in flower, and the flowers are indeed edible, but nothing to rave about.
    It is an undemanding plant; I never watered, mulched, or fertilized and the plants were thriving, lush and grew like weeds. Do give it some room!
    This is not a "true" guava.
    Cheers - Nancy

• vetivert8
    14 years ago

Feijoas are a commercial crop here and they've been developed to have fruit around the size of a large-ish kiwi(fruit).

If you were just growing the 'original' version it's likely you'd think I was whiffling away about no big deal.

The two you could get to actually have a crop are 'Triumph' and 'Mammoth' - otherwise you'll be borrowing branches from a neighbour - just like Nancy!

• jeanim
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the info...keep it coming! LOL
    Wodka, I emailed you but for anyone else locally wanting to know I bought it at a small shop & nursery in Bay St. Louis named the Mosquito Hawk. It's a flea market type shop with a small cafe and plant section that's owned by 2 local artists. One's husband owns a nursery and sells many of his plants there. The prices are great!! My shrub is about 3 feet tall and very bushy....it cost $8.00 I think.

They had several there and I asked if I needed to purchase more than one for pollination but they said it wasn't necessary. I have no idea of the "name" other than the tag said pineapple guava....may have to go back and ask. I really don't care about the fruit, just hope to see some pretty flowers at some point! If you all think I need to, I will go see about getting another one or two as I have plenty of space for planting right now. Most of my trees got Katrina'ed and we have cleared 6 lots recently so I'm trying to fill them up again.
    Thanks everyone!!

• brocos_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

I purchased a property in Carpinteria, CA (Santa Barbara coastal area). On site, we have a mature Pineapple Guava which bears delicious fruit. Since we will be building a house on sight, the tree will either be cut down or moved.

Any suggestions on moving it, as we would love to keep it? The breast height diameter of the trunk/caliper is about 6' so I suppose it is very mature.

Thanks,

Nate

brocos@sbcglobal.net

Sponsored