Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insects on Holly bush - beneficial or not?

Posted by midcitygardener 9 (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 20:21

There are about 15-20 bugs gathered in one spot on top of one of my holly bushes. They range from hues of orange to dull grayish. They've been there for several days now. I haven't removed them yet, because I want to know if they are beneficial or not. I know it's not that helpful w/o posting a photo, but does anyone know of any holly-loving insects that fit this description/behavior? I can't tell if they are doing any damage, but they appear to be plotting something as there are many of them but just in one tight group. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insects on Holly bush - beneficial or not?

it's hard to say without a picture, but the only beneficial bugs i can think of that would involve orange are ladybugs and asassins. obviously you'd know if it were ladybugs, but it could be the ladybug larva that you are not recognizing. google it to see them. they are easy to recognize once you've seen one - primarily black, however.

the asassins are bright orange with long black legs. they look very mean, but are in fact peaceful. they will bite if they feel threatened. i think they are related to the walking stick. try googleing those as well.

both the asassins and ladybugs eat aphids.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here