Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_la

Annual Master Gardener plant sale

janet_la
18 years ago

The annual Master Gardener plant sale in Baton Rouge is this coming Saturday (May 7th) from 8:00 - 3:00. It's at the Burden Center on Essen Lane, between I-10 and Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center. I saw a preview of some of the plants tonight, and I can't wait!

Comments (8)

• jap373
    18 years ago

Yesssss..! I'm in Baton Rouge too and this is my favorite plant sale of the year. Bring your wagon and be patient cuz the lines will likely be pretty long. I'm planning to concentrate on hummingbird plants this year...but I'm easily distracted :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog...

• Louisiana_botanist
    18 years ago

Do they take credit card or check or is it cash only?

• janet_la
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No credit cards this year - cash or check only. Something else that is new this year is if you buy 5 plants ($5.00 or higher), you get one $5.00 plant free.

• kahlanne
    18 years ago

I didn't get there until later in the morning and things were picked over quite well by then. Intended on going earlier but it just didn't happen. However, I did get a couple of Shasta Daisies, Sweet Annie's, and Tomatoes. I wish I would have bought the one red rose that was left but talked myself out of it. Uggh! Why did I do that? LOL.

Oh does anyone know if there is a place online that lists the roses that are grown in the field nearby? Basically if you walk straight out of the payment booths, the rose I must have is on the second row. It is orange, pink and I think red on the same bush. I loved it along with Singing in the Rain and one called Red Orange.

Do you know if you can visit those at anytime or do they charge?

• HanArt
    18 years ago

The sale I look forward to is Hilltop's Plant Fest in the fall. Anyone know the date this year?

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Jane, just took a peek at your blog. You have some beautiful plants! Love those irises.

I think your hummer is a female Ruby-throated. Any males hanging around?

• janet_la
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kahlanne, I'm sorry you didn't get there earlier. There were lots of good plants, but they went quick. The number of plants was down from previous years, at least partly due to the cool spring (some just weren't mature enough to sell). There is no fee for viewing the rose garden, but I'm not aware of a list of the roses grown. I don't remember the hours, but I'm pretty sure it runs along normal business hours - basically, anytime Burden is open, the rose gardens are accessable.

HanArt, based on the usual date for Hilltop's Plantfest, and the fact that the normal 2nd Saturday Class is cancelled for Oct. 8th due to "Plantfest Fatigue Syndrome", I would assume that the sale is the first weekend in October.

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Thanks Janet!

Sponsored