Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade loving plants that soak up water

Posted by geno_b central ms (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 07 at 22:48

I have a "wet spot" in my yard that gets very little sun. Any advice on plants that will soak up the water?

Central MS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade loving plants that soak up water

I'm not sure that plants "soak up" water to any appreciable extent. Some plants will grow in wet spots but I don't think they make the spots any less wet.

I hope someone suggests some plants for you. My experiance is mostly with trees.

o

I have a wet spot in my yard too. Here are the plants that have done well for many years in that spot. It's not an unusual list, but here goes. Ligularia, astilbe, chelone lyonii, solmon's seal, lobelia, ferns of course, red dock, japanese anemone. Louisiana iris does well in wet soil but I don't have any so can't recommend it personally. For grondcovers, I shop the water garden section for plants that like to live on the edge of streams.

None of these plants soak up water, so they won't dry out the spot. They're just happy living in wet soil.

o

I love banana trees for wet spots.

Leubafr

o

I've been thinking if more of us planted carnivorous plants, many of which are native here, we'd have a lot less mosquitos. They too won't dry out the soil but need a wet spot to do well.

o

http://msucares.com/lawn/landscape/types/shadelist.html has a list of shade loving plants that grow well in MS. that will get you started, as you will hav eot narrow down the water loving ones from there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here