Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Olive

Posted by wifesaysnogolf none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 0:30

First time poster! Great website? I have a sweet olive(SW MS is the location) that needs to be trimmed. When is the best time to prune? Also, will sand encourage my St. Augustine to spread? Thank ya'll so much and I pray for rain because we need it bad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Olive

I would say to prune it while it is dormant. Sand won't help your St Augustine. They recommend a 3-1-2 ratio fertilizer for it such as 15-5-10. You could also spread some compost on it such as Cotton Burr or some bagged cow manure. Good luck on getting some rain.

o

Thank You wisner.

o

i would not prune while dormant. becasue it while then have tender tips that can freeze easily and kill the olive tree.

o

If u are pruning back to a branch or trunk u can do that any time and that is called thinning I think. If you are tip pruning or "heading back" I think it is called, that is what stimulates new growth that would be tender when it comes out and would freeze when the frost/freezes come. However, I never really understood why that was such a big problem, it can just be pruned off in the spring. Except it would look bad and maybe get a fungal infection or something being damaged. Really if it's an established healthy shrub/tree, I think it would take the pruning anytime. If you decide to wait until spring, then make any heading back cuts lower than you want the final height becoz u will stimulate new growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here