Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What palms are you growing?

Posted by Django z9 LA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 05 at 0:31

Driving around town I try to keep track of the variety of palms that we can grow or try to grow here. What are you growing? What stands up well to the torrential rain and occasional freeze?

In the ground, I am growing: canary island date palm (phoenix canariensis), silver date palm (phoenix sylvestris), triangle palm (neodypsis decaryi), foxtails (wodyetia bifurcata), chinese fan palm (livistona chinensis), queen palms (syagrus romanzooffiana), sabal palmettos, mexican fan palm (washingtonia robusta) and a bismarkia nobilis.

My bismarkia is hanging on by its last frond (I hope it is just getting its roots established.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What palms are you growing?

I have a couple cabbage sabals, a pindo (Butia capitata), a couple windmill palms (Trachycarpus fortunei) and a chinese fan palm (Livistona chinensis). Growing rampant and wild are the palmettos (Sabal minor)

Around town I see: various sabals, canary i. dates, pindos, washingtonias and palmettos. Further south and west, in the Waveland area, people are getting away with growing queen palms, but it's a bit warmer there, and they'll burn here in OS.

sea ya
tami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here