Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tms1_gw

New house, what to plant?

tms1
18 years ago

I am moving into a house and am wondering if it's too late to plant a lot of vegetables? I will probably keep a lot of them in pots. I also wanted to plant some colorful flowers in the front(I don't know anything about flowers). Any ideas? Are there any flowers that will bloom for a long time?? Or is it different flowers for different times of the year?

Thanks,

tms

Comments (4)

• Django
    18 years ago

Drive around your neighborhood and see what you like and what seems to be thriving. Make a list and a plan. Begin bed preparation - it will save you labor in the long run. If you are impatient, buy flats of annuals to get your color fix. They are temporary and any mistakes can be quickly rectified.

I have always thought that observation is 90% of successful gardening.

• Louisiana_botanist
    18 years ago

Hi TMS,

Pick up a copy of the Louisiana Gardener the next time you are at a local nursery. The front section has a list of vegetables and recommended planting months in each issue. African winter squash can be planted now, however I may be the only source of available seed in Louisiana. Let me know if you want any. I can provide you with a squash in a couple of weeks if you would like.

I've noticed that some of the Baton Rouge nurseries are getting rid of their vegetable starts. You may be able to pick up some good deals on their remaining stock. Most of my tomatoes are finishing their production, however the vine tomatoes (i.e. cherry tomatoes) are just beginning to crank out production.

Suggestions for colorful flowers would depend on what you want, herbs or shrubs and also the amount of sunlight and soil. If you enjoy cooking, a raised bed next to the home containing cooking herbs (mints, basil, dill, rosemary, etc.) would be a good idea. Try to avoid using the native clay soil. Instead purchase bulk soil from a store selling composts and soils. Be sure to add lots of worms too. Last week, Louisiana Nursery on Florida Blvd in Baton Rouge had a number of reduced price tropicals. Roses both bush and climbing would add color to your home.

You can also combine non-edible flowers in the raised bed. Black-eyed Susan, coneflower, sunflower, maypop, butterfly bush, Mexican cigar plant, tansy, and Indian blanket are just a few plants currently blooming in many of my gardens as well as many of the mints. You can find a number of these for sale at nurseries. Liatris should be next on the list for blooming. If you are near New Orleans, stop by Bantings or near Baton Rouge: Cleggs or Louisiana Nursery or your favorite nursery. If you are going to be in Baton Rouge, drop me an email and I can provide you with enough herbs to get you started. I can also send you home with a number of heirloom vegetable seeds.

Hope this helps.

James

Here is a link that might be useful: North Leighton Gardens

• HanArt
    18 years ago

James, what is African winter squash? I've grown butternut, but never heard of African.

My tomatoes are basically done too. I started pulling plants last week and I'll finish this weekend ... leaving one lone Sun Gold cherry.

• Louisiana_botanist
    18 years ago

Seeds imported into the US, I believe in the late 80s from Zaire, Africa and eventually a selection of seed was sent to The Southern Seed Legacy: http://www.uga.edu/~ebl/southernheirloom/seed%20accession.html for proporgation in the USA. I forget the exact history of the squash and how it got here as related to me by a University of Georgia scientist. I received my seed via a friend of a friend in Georgia in 2001 who obtained it from the Southern Seed Legacy's stocks.

Just harvested a few young African winter squashes over the weekend. Young ones add a nice buttery/light carmel taste to cucumber & tomatoes salad. Mature squash is good sliced thin and deep-fried. Currently the vines are approaching 30 feet long and still growning. Vines resistant to most insects and diseases affecting other squash. Some leaf miner attacks, but vines root at leaf nodes, so minor leaf die-back does not affect plant. I can provide you and others with either young or mature squash and/or seeds. I have seed from 2000 (still viable) as well as 2004 and soon 2005. Call me at 225-803-5406 or drop me an email.

The accompanying URL has a pic of one of the African squash about 9 inches in lenght. Mature ones are a foot or more long.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down for view of African winter squash

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County