Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any way to counteract excess chlorine in New Orleans water?

Posted by linda47 z8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 11, 06 at 14:43

Our area has quite a bit of chlorine added to the water since Katrina. We've had no rain for weeks now, so I'm watering often. Some of my bedding plants are looking quite washed out, yellow, brown areas etc. I've heard the same from neighbors.

Is there anything you can use to counteract that?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any way to counteract excess chlorine in New Orleans water?

Hey Ms. Linda

Activated carbon will neutralize chlorine. I am not sure if it will be as effective on chloramine. A quick Google search will answer the chloramine question. New Orleans will gladly tell you if they use chloramine or chlorine.

Several years ago I built a very simple device to add water to my aquarium that did a fabulous job of removing chlorine.

Bring this post with you to your LOCAL hardware guy. He will understand and sell you every part you need. If your harware guy can't help you, go to a plumber's supply. The typical Home Depot people won't usually be much help.

Use a piece of PVC pipe 12 to 18 inhes long and 4 inches in diameter to hold your carbon. Then, buy the fittings necessary for you end up with a female hose fitting on one end and a male hose fitting on the other end. Now, one 4-inch end must be un-screwable so that you may change-out the carbon.

The opposite end may be permenantly glued. Use the leg portion of panty hose or, a knee-high stocking to make a bag-of-carbon that you will stuff into the pipe. The stocking is simply a "screen" to prevent the carbon from blowing out of the pipe.

When you are finished you will have a device that will hold several pounds of carbon and, will last a long time if all you use it for is the plants.

I use a short hose to go from the spigot to the filter so the filter lays on the ground. Then my garden hose is connected to the other end. The filter could actually be screwed directly onto the spigot but if you yank on the hose too hard you could possibly snap off the fitting.

Send me a message here, if you need me to elaborate further.

o
RE: Any way to counteract excess chlorine in New Orleans water?

Thanks bigoledude! That will take some doing, but I think I can manage it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here