Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
figs

Posted by virginia34 south (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 18:10

My fig tree is old. I fertilized and watered it regularly. It had lots of small figs, two days ago they started to fall off the tree, were small and swiveled. HELP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: figs

Sounds like the Nematodes have gotten to your Fig. Sorry. This is supposedly inevitable. Oh well, the leaves are still very nutritious, and great for wraps.

I haven't researched it, but maybe you can combat the bad Nematodes with good ones (they can be ordered).

Here's another Gardenweb Fig thread: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0202495016357.html Nematodes are discussed here.

o
RE: figs

I had this problem with an aged fig tree here on the back of the property. After quite a fight with carpenter ants (we won - they left lol) We assumed it a lost cause and gave it a severe pruning last year as a last resort. Tree WAS huge 7x6ft easy, would produce lil green figs then they'd wilt and fall off...with a chainsaw & large pruners, reduced to about a 4x4ft tree again after the other healthy fig trees finished fruiting last season. Now all sturdy branches have grownin again and fruit has already ripened :-) It IS quite a bit smaller now but still producing a large fruit bowl a day, worth of figs :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here