Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
live_oak_lady

What's growing best in the rain in your area?

live_oak_lady
19 years ago

We have had at least 20 inches of rain in the past month and much more to come this week. The things that are doing best are the flowering vines--the blue thunbergia, the moonvine, the cypress vine and the pea vine. The daylilies do well until a drenching rain comes and turns them into wet crepe paper. The roses are pitiful with black spot; there's not enough spray in the world to keep up with it.

And, of course, the grass is growing but it's too wet to cut. Last year at this time we were in the middle of a terrible drought and the azaleas were dying. Have to watch what we wish for.

Coleen

Comments (22)

• floweringcajun
    19 years ago

Hey coleen the rain is terrible over here also my roses are about the only thing thats holding up really well over here if were not drowning were getting baked my poor plants I am sure hoping for better weather soon.

• sherri_louisiana
    19 years ago

Hi Coleen,

The things that are growing best here are the weeds! They're growing by leaps and bounds! Seriously though, my Zephirine Drouhin rose is putting out another (smaller) flush of blooms. That's never happened before. I don't know if it is the rain, the cooler spring we've had or the fact that the plant is maturing. Whatever it is, I'm glad it's happening. Now, if I could just keep those weeds down.

Sherri

• jim2k
    19 years ago

Black spot getting my roses too.Nothings doing well but the Cannas and water lilies.Hope for the best everyone . good luck Jim

• michaelalreadytaken
    19 years ago

Irises and cannas are doing well. Mandevilla is doing well. The roses, well, botrytis has been horrible this year along with canker and several other diseases. I don't even want to talk about the weeds.

MichaelAT

• liz_beth
    19 years ago

Bleeding heart vine, which nearly keeled over, is looking good. My bee balm has mildew... my shasta daisies are droopy.

I haven't had as much as you, but have had enough for a while

• greenelbows
    19 years ago

Ah yes the weeds. And the ark in the back yard is coming along well. Actually--I've been interested in different kinds of 'elephant ears' and other aroids for a long time but wasn't too successful at finding many until a little more than a year ago when I found GardenWeb and the aroid forum, and all my new and old aroids are really taking off. My but they love all this rain--and the heat and humidity! I know some of you have had very bad experiences with elephant ears that act like kudzu, but there are some really beautiful ones that aren't invasive at all, and they are really happy with the weather we have, especially now. So much better than trying to coax some poor miserable plant to stay alive when it would rather grow up north or out west!

• live_oak_lady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Love your comment about the Ark!! Tuesday and Wednesday had no rain, but the heat and humidity must be someone's idea of hell.
    You're right--this month the elephant ears really are "high as an elephant's eye." The torpedo grass isn't doing too badly either!!

• bigeasyjock
    19 years ago

The rain lilies keep on blooming. We get a dry couple of days than the rain starts and sure enought a couple days later here come the rain lilies. Crinum also blooming more than usual. I have a large gal that has sent up 5 flower spikes this year, a record for me.
    Oh and the blueberries are os soooo large and sweet this year.
    Anyone know how to slow down Johnson grass? A 'cut and come again' plant for sure :>
    Mike

• greenelbows
    19 years ago

Hoo, do I hear you about Johnson grass! (I think it's another one of those things that was imported for feeding cattle. Don't think they could eat it fast enough. Probably lost some calves in it.) There are some good sprays for grass, even ones you can spray right over other plants in the bed. Work pretty well for a week or two. I don't much like to use sprays if I can get out of it, so I tried putting big black garbage bags full of leaves and grass clippings on top of it. Grew right through the bags and out the top. Right now it's under pretty good control. I planted Ruellia out there, the tall pink kind that's not supposed to be as invasive as the all lavendar. Anyone got a good cure for Ruellia?

• deep_south_gardener
    19 years ago

Hey ya'll,
    The prettiest flowers in my yard this year so far,
    sunflowers, yellow and red, Rudbeckia, and gloriosa
    daisy, the daylillies and the batface cuphea. This
    was my first year with gloriosa daisy. They are doing
    really well in our hot steamy weather. I will plant
    more next year as they have been very showy and come
    in a variety of colors. Ya'll take care and keep
    those hands dirty.

Brenda

• madabouteu
    19 years ago

I just had new meighbors move in next door - from Scottsdale, AZ!!! Just think what they think of this weather! As for what is doing well for me in NO, I am seeing lots of growth on Agastache (great purple blooms), various hibiscus, scarlet butterfly weed, Toad lily, dwarf sunflower, pentas, etc. The Lemongrass is getting huge! OTOH, I have essentially lost the fennel, parsley, and scabiosa but I expected that - the heat is a kiler for them as well as me!

• live_oak_lady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

deepsouthgardener, glad to hear that about the gloriosa daisy. Did you start from seed or plants? We need to find things that can take the years of rain. Just as we need to find things that can take the years of drought!! The crape myrtles are beautiful this year. Have never seen the blossoms so long, almost like the lilacs in the north. Parked my car under a crape myrtle during a rainstorm and rode around town looking like a big blossom.

• thejimmie
    19 years ago

yeah that johnson grass is mean stuff. i case of nuclear attack, get underneath some, i`m sure i would survive. roundup works ok , but not the best.

• greenelbows
    19 years ago

ROFL--'in case of nuclear attack'--maybe we should start a thread for those!

• live_oak_lady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The crinums are blooming like crazy--the pretty icecream pink ones. I have never seen the different varieties of palms bloom as they are doing this year. And, so many blooms on one tree. The rosebushes that haven't been made naked by black spot are really doing well, too. Lizards are everywhere--they must have had several families this year.We had several deluges today--we're way above the record for rain this year. Grass will have fungus soon. Anyone know a good thing to get rid of the grass fungus?

• soundgarden
    19 years ago

Of all the months for my lawn mower to break! I live right on the corner of a T intersection, so my house is a neighborhood focal point. I've got weeds growing out the wazzoo, and I've been getting notes on my door from strangers offering to cut it.
    My tibouchina is huge! My passion vines, all my cuttings I've done this month rooted within 2 weeks because they stayed evenly moist. Everything looks beautiful.
    Annie

• live_oak_lady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Let the people who leave notes help. They probably appreciate the fact that you kept it so nice for so long. I need to try passion vine again. Do you have the red ones?

• greenelbows
    19 years ago

How are your neighbors from Scotsdale holding up, Kenneth (madabouteu--love that name!0? Our paper had about half the front page devoted to the rain and flooding, and most of another inside with the headling 'Enough already!' The abutilons are blooming well--favorite of the hummingbirds--and the brugs are trying for tree status. Have to wade out and see if they're budding. Had a couple rounds earlier on a couple, but I haven't done enough for several that are more exposed and should be blooming by now. They like it a little cooler and generally get buds when we have a bit of cooler weather like this rain has brought. Think I'll go do that now! It's actually not raining at the moment. Now where did I put my hip waders?

• SouthernMiss
    19 years ago

Did anyone have any advice on the grass fungus? I have St. Aug. and it is brown from the ground up. With some yellow. I don't know how much rain we've had, but it is tooooo much. Oh, and the cinch bugs are having a bumper crop too. I have applied all the bug stuff twice at double the rate and it seems to feed them.

• tamivileine
    19 years ago

... i posted on the tropicalesque:

This rain and t-storms are energy from the Gulf dissipating, and not making a hurricane.

Be grateful. All this stuff could be happening at once, and very much more violently.

sea ya
    tami

• Joeray
    19 years ago

The 10+ inches of rain has done in my Russian Sage plant. I knew this plant was marginal for our area but thought I'd try it. I've read that it likes dry, sandy/gravelly soil. I looked at my plant this evening and it looks bad. In a normal summer, I believe this plant might have grown.

• greenelbows
    19 years ago

That's a really good point, tami. Much better to have lots of rain--as long as it's not in our houses!--instead of getting to the point where we start wondering if we should wish for a tropical storm. I've never wished for a hurricane, but I have started looking for sources of more rain in years past. Love driving around looking at everything so green.

Sponsored