Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jap373

Anyone seeing hummingbirds??

jap373
18 years ago

Is anyone seeing hummingbirds in their gardens right now? I think all the species except the ruby-throats moved on through in March and April...but the RT's ought to be here...right? I saw a couple back in April, and havent' seen hide nor feather since then... I've planted a dozen or more hummer-getter plants this year, and I'm keeping my feeders clean, but I'm just not having much luck. How are y'all doing??

--Jane in BR, LA

Comments (17)

• janet_la
    18 years ago

I saw one yesterday, and again this morning before church.

Janet in Denham Springs

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I've been told by people who know a lot more about hummers than I do (not hard!) that they nest near water, so if you don't have a river or lake or bayou close by you won't see them until maybe a month from now. Then if you're lucky they'll bring the kids! Since I'm not very near the river I don't see 'em this time of year either, but they always come back. I'll probably seem 'em first in the abutilons, and then I'll put the feeders back up.

• HanArt
    18 years ago

They're nesting nearby. Not so much feeder activity unless it's raining.

• jim2k
    18 years ago

Not seeing as many as I did last year but maybe they are still nesting hope so.good luck Jim

• sdogwood
    18 years ago

Jap 373, I saw them early in april and thats it. I too keep the feeder full and wait. Maybe they are waiting for rain.
    sdogwood

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Hummers have been low in numbers for me this year, but it seems that the best time to see one has been at dusk. Saw one at 8 p.m. last night, the lastest for me ever.

• down_south_LA
    18 years ago

I have only seen one this summer, last summer we had plenty of them.

• jap373
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've been out in the yard for longer periods of time the last 3 days, and guess what?! They're here, but oh so briefly! They visit maybe one plant each time, stay for a very few minutes, completely ignore the feeders, and then buzz off! All I've seen are females. I'm hoping they're tending nests nearby and will bring babies soon...

This made my day on Thursday!

--Jane in BR, LA

• mrs_emily
    18 years ago

I had so many in my yard last year, my neighbor actually asked me what I was doing to attract them all. I haven't seen even one yet so far this year, but my zinnias are just now blooming brilliantly, and that seemed to be a favorite hangout for them before.

• virginia34
    18 years ago

I only had one or two a day, until last week, filling my two feeders daily. Still not as many as last year.

• katladie
    18 years ago

They were here in April and May, but I haven't seen any since. Of course, I am not out as much bc of the heat. Sure miss them.

Sharon in French Settlement, La.

• daizygoldie
    17 years ago

Yes, I have several which visit several times during the day but more often in the late evening hours. I live in the Picayune area.

• julieann_grow
    17 years ago

I've been seeing one almost every evening, including night before last. Actually had the wonder of watching it while it sat on my trellis preening itself. A RT.

He or she seems to like my milkweed flowers the most.

Julie in Thibodaux

• gardnpondr
    17 years ago

I'm not hardly seeing any either this year. I'm afraid Katrina blew them away. :( I've seen one or two and in the last I have had herds of them here feeding. So sad to because I love them!!!

• helena_z8_ms
    17 years ago

Even though HB numbers have been low this year. I'm lucky to have them again this year. I garden mainly for them.

• burninfilm
    17 years ago

Early on we had quite a few. Now it's an occasional visit. Hopefully they will return soon to. We are in the Picayune area.

• jetstream_ms
    17 years ago

I finally put up some hummingbird feeders this year. I have seen at least 4 hummingbirds come to the feeders. 3 females and 1 male. Very beautiful.
    They come all the time.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner