Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 22:34

You guys are about as southern as possible, but did you experience a colder than normal winter? Even in the early spring. Technically in Pa we had a normal winter, the early spring is what really was the problem. Late February, all of March and early April. I hope someone has an answer. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?

• Posted by wisner 9 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 23:04

It was definitely a colder winter here is SW Louisiana. I don't have the actual numbers, but it was the coldest winter in many years. The spring was also colder and we had a late freeze. Lots of palm trees were killed, also citrus trees.

This post was edited by wisner on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 23:07

o

Thanks Wisner, I am surprised you even get freezes there. I've never been to your area, I've been to Florida, I hear they went down to 19 F before. But that is rare. Maybe you get 20 's as a low, rarely.

o

It stayed in the 20's all day here for 2 days with freezing rain.Never got above freezing, even in the middle of the day. I've never seen that happen since I moved to So. LA, nor in South GA.
I lost 2 small satsumas & there was lots of damage to citrus in our area.
Very nasty winter.
:(

o

I wouldn't call it harsh, but it was definitely colder than the past few years. We had freezing rain at least once and I moved the tomatoes from the cold frame to the warmth of the garden shed that day. We also had a late freeze and I had to cover all the tomato plants, but everything survived.

My satsuma and Meyer lemon are still small enough to cover, which I did on a few occasions. They also survived.

o

I live on the MS Coast, about 6 miles off, as the crow flies. We have a skim of ice every year. The '13/'14 winter was the worst I have seen and I am 70 yo. Lost a few plants; however, most came back strong. Citrus took a beating but survived. Will not get much this year but they need a rest anyway.

o

We also had a colder winter last year than we have had in years. After just being classified as a zone 8 instead of 7, it seemed like it never would warm up! I was two or three weeks later planting my garden than normal. It felt chancy even when I did.

I just knew I would lose marginally hardy plants like Tibouchina and a purple crinum I bought on the coast. But, I did not lose a single thing. I guess all the mulch I put down in Autumn made the difference.

On the other hand, when it was all said and done, although our cold lasted longer than usual, we really only had one night that the low was below 10, and that for a short time at daybreak.

o

it was harsh. I lost both of my satsuma trees.

I'm hearing that this winter isn't looking much better,
but I'm hoping they are wrong!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here