Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

vegetables to plant now in north MS

louisianagal
14 years ago

I am new to fall gardening and really fairly new to most vegetables. What can I plant now, either via seed or transplant (if I can find them)? My frost date is around Nov 1.

I recently planted 2 tomato suckers, which I have been successful with in the past.

Thanks. Hope some north Mississippians see this.

laurie

Comments (5)

• Donna
    14 years ago

Hi, lgal! I am doing the exact same kind of thinking here in Meridian. In the last week or so, I have begun planting a second "summer garden". I have seeded in cowpeas, squash, cucumbers, and set out two tomatoes. As soon as we dry out from this rain, I will be planting some more bush beans also. My first frost date is very near to yours, which means we have a good 90 days of growing season left. Everything should have time to make even though they will grow more slowly as the days begin to shorten.
    I have also ordered some strawberry plants to set out this fall in hopes of getting a crop next year.

I have been doing reading and researching most of the day for the "real" fall garden (my first, too). MSU says to start seeds INDOORS for broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and onions in late August. October 15 is my planting out date for these, as well as the time to direct seed leafy greens like collards, turnips, kale, and lettuce. I should think your date would not be more than a week earlier than mine as you are less than 200 miles north of me.

• louisianagal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know that I won't get around to planting seeds indoors, realistically, but I would do the direct seeding. Just bought some lettuce and arugula seeds. I have never been really successful with broccoli here in MS. I have seeds, may try again. I moved a few eggplant plants that were doing poorly to my new raised veggie bed. Also put a couple squash seeds out where other squash had petered out. Also just put out peas along the chain link fence. The seed pack said can be planted in spring and in August. I figure close enough. My veggie planting has sort of been shot in the dark method, and the results reflect it. But I have gotten a few squash, some eggplant, fair amt of tomatoes, and earlier lettuce and spinach, just for salads. I have a fair crop of beans, have not harvested yet. They are kentucky pole beans. I use them to make bean soup all winter, I like them in that.
    Laurie

• Donna
    14 years ago

Sounds to me like you're "muddling' through very well. You can always buy transplants of cabbage, etc in October. Have you had Kentucky (Wonder?) pole beans produced all summer for you? Do you like them as snaps too, or only as shelled beans?

• louisianagal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess they are Ky Wonder. I don't think I have the original package, I just save some beans and re-plant the next year. I've only eaten them shelled. I didn't really find them very tasty just as a side dish or a main dish, but I love them in the soup!
    Laurie

• ttan1938_suddenlink_net
    13 years ago

YES I HAVE PLANTED MY SEED POTATOES, BUT IM NOT SURE JUST WHAT IS GOOD TO PLANT NOW, THINKING ON SOME PINTO BEANS, ALSO CUCUMBERS, MY GT GRANSON WHO IS SEVEN LOVES TO HELP PLANT, WE DID GROW SOME NICE CUCUMBERS LAST YEAR, WE PUT UP 33 QTS OF SWEET PICKLES, VERY TASTY.

Sponsored