Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
losing leaves on fig trees

Posted by clarfitz 8la. (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 10, 04 at 1:49

seems that my figs are late this year.we have 6 VERY large fig trees.the leaves are turning brown and dying.any ideas?we have had so much rain,thought that might be the problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: losing leaves on fig trees

I'm over by Houston, and am experiencing the same thing with all my fig trees. The fruit seem to be ok so far, but some leaves are yellowing and falling off. I am attributing it to too much rain.

o

That's interesting--most years when it's dry we have trouble with the fig leaves turning brown and yellow and falling off. This year with all the rain they're staying beautifully green. I think it's a fungus, but somebody I believed (but I don't remember who!) told me not to worry about it, that it wouldn't hurt the trees and spraying would be expensive and not very effective. For what it's worth----

o

We had a pretty fair crop of figs, but most are gone. The leaves of our trees are starting to yellow and will soon be falling. This happens every year with my trees. They'll start trying to put out new leaves next January, when it's still cold. They sometimes get nipped by frost doing this.

o

Lous Miller on his garden show from Baton Rouge yesterday said it's a rust and not to worry about it.

o

I was told to lime my figs. I'm giving it a try. I'm told it makes a huge difference in plant vigor.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here