Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Vegetable Gardens

Posted by deltazinnia MS Delta (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 1, 09 at 3:08

This is the first year I have really had a garden, and with our abundance of rain flooding it and making us start over, and now the lack of rain... Well, on to happier things. I am ready to start planning our fall garden. I really need some help here. I want some kale and turnip greens, and some salad greens. What other veggies do y'all plant and when do you plant them?
Thanks for any advice you can give!
Betty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Vegetable Gardens

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 1, 09 at 12:57

Our Extension office provides a chart with dates, but I couldn't find one for Mississippi. Found an article on fall planting and that was it. I'll link it.

I haven't grown fall tomatoes in years, so I'm giving that a shot this year. I'm in southern Louisiana so I need to transplant later this month. Also plan on growing bush beans, lettuce, arugula, Swiss chard, beets, and cosmos.

Here is a link that might be useful: fall gardening in Mississippi

o

I've got something tacked to my laundry room wall, don't remember where I got it, it is a newspaper page. It says Zones Determine Planting Dates. And it gives 5 zones for Mississippi. But I don't have the fall planting dates just the spring and summer ones. But I do have Vegetables Typically Planted in a Fall Garden for MS: bush snap beans, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, chard, chinese cabbage, kohlrabi, lettuce, mustard, onions, radishes, rutabagas, spinach, and turnips. If you to to msucares website, just do a search, it will connect you to the extension services and master gardeners, I think, for your region. This paper that I have shows all the MS counties and what region they are in and what the median date of first freeze in fall is, and last freeze in spring. I'm in zone 5, the first to freeze and the last to thaw. Sadly.
Laurie in Tupelo area

o

I have a 1980s planting chart from H.G.Hastings which was in Birminghan and Atlanta. It gives a lot of information for the Southern garden. Send me your email address and I'll send you a scanned copy in PDF format.- Terry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here