Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for Compost near Baton Rouge

Posted by kbecalamity Z 9 LA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 27, 05 at 6:05

I am about to start large new beds for rose gardens. Would like to find the best compost I can buy at the best price. Anyone know where I might find good compost within 100 miles of Baton Rouge?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for Compost near Baton Rouge

I always get my bulk soils from Nature's Best Organics Soil Center (9500 Perkins Rd - 766-1446) located between the Perkins/Bluebonnet intersection and Louisiana Nursery. Last 15 cubic yards ran me approx $28.00 per cubic yard for the garden mix and around $30.00 per cubic yard for the compost plus about a $30.00 delivery fee. Now if you have a pickup truck instead of a Jeep (If I had only known back in Atlanta), you can save the delivery fee and get the soil as you need it.

Jim Stone on Florida Blvd (13751 Florida Blvd) (heading towards Denham Springs) also has bulk soils/compost/mulch besides rock. I buy my rock and flagstone here. Good prices for south Louisiana and good product.

I've seen a few other places around BR, but don't recall where at present. You can see one place on the north side of I-12 heading out of BR. Never been there.

There is a place in Lafayette which gives out FREE mulch and compost. They don't deliver, but if you are interested, I'll get directions and put on the forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim Stone Company

o

Thanks so much Louisiana Botanist. Free mulch and compost sounds reallllly great. I have a great truck and trailer. Directions and a phone number would be great. I will also go by Nature's Best and check them out. Jim Stone Co, I am familiar with. Thanks for the comments.

o

I will be baking in Yuma, Arizona for the next three weeks doing endangered species surveys. At least the temperatures should be below 115 degrees F with little humidity. I'll get the directions to the place in Lafayette and relate to you when I return to BR in late August.

The link below may be the company my neighbor was talking about. The website mentions free compost available to the public.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lafayette Utilities System

o

Thanks again. The link to LUS had the directions and phone number. Good luck in Yuma. Been there and done that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here