Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lightgreenthumb

Who's visiting your feeders?

lightGreenThumb
19 years ago

I know I could be posting on the birding forums, but I like to know about our specific part of the world. So, who's visiting your backyard feeders?

I've only had mine up about a month. I have a mixed seed hopper, an upside down thistle tube feeder, a suet cake, and 2 hummingbird feeders. Oh, and 1 squirrel compressed corn feeder.

First and foremost the Squirrels Love the seed feeder. This along with their frequent digging into my freshly planted gardens has caused me to start feeding them. It's detered them from my gardens, mostly, but not from the seed feeder. I'm working on my strategies.

Birds for the seed feeder have been nice. I've got a Cardinal who visits daily. Sometimes his girlfriend comes along, but she is very shy. I see him bring her a bit of seed at times. I've had a few mocking birds and blue jays stop in for a bite, but they don't hang around so much to be a nuisance. I've also had way too many house sparrows come and eat. There are way too many of those! I also have one or two unidentified birds, but I haven't managed to get a close enough look at them yet.

Something has nibbled a little on my suet, but I haven't figured out what yet.

The thistle feeder and hummingbird feeders stand alone. Nothing has touched them as far as I can tell. Which makes me wonder how often you guys see goldfinches, if at all in our area?

I've had a Carloina Wren family nest in my garage, but have never seen them at the feeders. They are the ones that inspired me to get feeders in the first place. Guess I need to get a peanut butter suet when this one runs out.

I know my list is short. Hopefully time will give me more beauties to enjoy. Who's visiting your feeders?

:)

Comments (8)

• Papa_LA
    19 years ago

Regular feeders are: Common sparrows, House Finches, Cardinals, Carolina Chicadees, Tufted Titmouses, Redhead and Spireated Woodpeckers, Blackbirds, Cowbirds. Less frequent are the Wrens and Jays and Thrushes. These prefer insects and only eat a bit of grain. I have never seen a Mocking Bird feeding in my feeders but frequently they are picking up the many insects around them. Goldfinches are transients. They visit a few weeks in the Spring and again in the Fall to fatten up before moving on. Many doves visit beneath the feeders--a good thing because they keep the area clean.

Then, there are the squirrels. You have to face the fact they much prefer sunflower seeds to hard dried corn. You might try a squirrel feeder with fresh peanuts and sunflower seeds but I will bet some of them will be after your feeders. Make it difficult for them to get to them and they may just go for their own food--don't bet on it!!

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

We have all of the above. The sparrows never quit eating. My favorites are the mourning doves and I put feed on the ground for them as they are ground feeders and do not go into the regular bird feeders. Cracked corn is good for them.
    The squirrels are too much. They have eaten every fig off the neighbor's tree. And, they know just the times we put out the food for the birds, as they are waiting in line.

• sdogwood
    19 years ago

Many birds love our feeders. Sparrows, Redbirds, Wrens, Blue Jays, Sufted Titmouse, Chickadees,Inca Doves , White Winged Doves ,Squirells and the latest .......A Rat! I don't know how to get rid of him other than a gun. Any ideas?

• lightGreenThumb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I actually started getting some brown thrashers and morning doves when I toss some BOSS on the ground. I also have to correct myself that I haven't seen any mockers eat from the feeder, but they just kind of hang out. Maybe they get some scraps from the ground later.

I figured out what was eating the suet and indeed it's rodents. I've seen mice and squirrels on it recently. I think it's going to be a given problem with bird feeding. I posted about it on the birding forum, but didn't get very many replies. Here's a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: rodent deterrants

• Bootsntux
    19 years ago

I have plenty of hummingbirds, several Chickadees, cardinals, bluejays, woodpeckers, doves and several species that I can't name yet but since it is my first year with bird feeders in my yard hopefully I will be more apt to name them in the years to come. I have put out some finch feeders but have yet to see one feed but I am hopeful.

• prt739
    18 years ago

We get the usual suspects- jays, red birds, doves and wood peckers- but every few days indigo buntings and an unknown to me - sparrow size bird with black body, white and also red breast. What might this species be?

• MimiB1
    18 years ago

I bet it is a Rose Breasted Grosbeak. I have had some at my feeders this week as well as one Blue Grosbeak, several Rufus Towhees, the usual cardinals, chickadees, my resident Red Bellied Woodpecker and my ground scavanging doves and wrens. I love this time of year with all of the beautiful birds migrating through the area!

• tamivileine
    18 years ago

Two feeders, hanging, nothing but sunflower seed; one hummingbird feeder:

Last month, we had LOTS of goldfinches, but they've moved on

quite a few Cardinals, lots of Red-winged blackbirds, occasional Indigo bunting passing thru, Chickadees, Nuthatches, Titmice, Sparrows, Towhees, Doves, very few Ruby-throat hummingbirds, occasional Jaybird, Red-headed woodpecker who lives here, Brown thrushes.

and the Osprey who lives across the slough and hunts the bayou.

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!